Question about new stowable hard top, Who has one???

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the scoop functional for if the engine is in front of the car?

If you want more air coming into your car, I'm not sure why you would with the top up, couldn't you just crack the window?

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well hell. I had decided about 2 months ago that I was getting a GTS because of the issues with the top(s). Now I may have to reconsider. Does anyone in the St. Louis area have one of these newer tops so that I can see the car before I make my final decision on which car to get? In the pics the top looks good, but until I see the real deal this could change. I am interested in a Gen II.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understood it, the Viper race cars have them to help cool the driver as the cabin gets quite hot (I do not believe the race cars have air cond). Many on the street want that RACE CAR look, hence the demand for the scoop styling. For some owners, having something on their car that is fake is totally unacceptable, so the option is to make it function.

That being said, The functional scoop does virtually nothing. At 80mph with the scoop open, you cannot feel air come into the cabin unless you crack the window to release cabin pressure. For $395, it is not an option I would spend my $$ on. It is kind of cool having it work, but it does add potential leak problems.

Jeff

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kudos Jeff, for being so honest about it. But for me, I am waiting for the very first non scoop version.

Glenn02RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At first i did not want the scoop but after seeing it, it really looks like it was made for the car. You really MUST see this. I hardly ever want to take it off (even though it's easy to)

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From the photos it looks like there's less head-room than with the standard factory hardtop. Is this the case? I've had the 2" seat lowering kit fitted and now have about an inch or so clearance between my head and the roof. I wouldn't like to go back to scraping my head again! It certainly looks far better than the standard hard top though.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the photos it looks like there's less head-room than with the standard factory hardtop. Is this the case?

The soft top is a really good reference. If you fit under that, than this should be fine.

Jeff

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At first i did not want the scoop but after seeing it, it really looks like it was made for the car. You really MUST see this. I hardly ever want to take it off (even though it's easy to)

I agree. It does look better in person than in pictures. I'll have to see the non-scooper in person before I can really state which one I like better.

Jeff

OP
OP
S

silverten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought there were alot of people out there that wanted to buy this top?? Where are you? Please let me know if you are interested so we can try to get a group sale for the top. Maybe Jeff will be nice enough to give us a break for us poor Viper owners. Chime in if you are interested.

Chris
98 RT/10

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I am getting a bit nervous...hearing that the sports bar won't match the side pillars...I go ******* quite a bit and can't have that, and most likely won't have the coin to buy the top and pay to have the sports bar match...might have to wait till later for my pretty little gen 1

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I am getting a bit nervous...hearing that the sports bar won't match the side pillars...I go ******* quite a bit and can't have that, and most likely won't have the coin to buy the top and pay to have the sports bar match...might have to wait till later for my pretty little gen 1

Got one,

I should probably mention that the sectional sport bar is no longer a feature of the new top. I had simplified the design about 6 weeks ago to use the owners existing sport bar pad. The top now includes a kit that allows the user to pull/off push/on the pad in an instant. Therefore, there are no more worries about the color match or fit of the included sport bar, because there is none.

Check it out here:

http://www.trunktop.citymaker.com/page/page/1630558.htm

Jeff

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Got one,

I should probably mention that the sectional sport bar is no longer a feature of the new top. I had simplified the design about 6 weeks ago to use the owners existing sport bar pad. The top now includes a kit that allows the user to pull/off push/on the pad in an instant. Therefore, there are no more worries about the color match or fit of the included sport bar, because there is none.

Check it out here:

http://www.trunktop.citymaker.com/page/page/1630558.htm

Jeff

awesome!!!!!!!! I am back in!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Jeff,

Nice change for the sport bar pad. It looks like this will work with my Trunktop - what do I need to do to get the new design?

I know you want to sell your own windows with your top - but many of us have $1k invested in Vmania windows. Has anyone else modded their Vmanias to fit the new top. Any discussions with Biff on offering this service? As we talked about, this definitely does not look like a very easy mod and any and all info would be appreciated.

Best personal regards,

ROCKET62

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rocket,

I am going to try doing a conversion today for someone who wants the new style quick pull pad. It may be a challenge as I have to get backing plates for the new hardware inside the fiberglass (not easy to do after panel and frame are bonded). I'll let you know how this goes. Hopefully it will be fairly simple. It does have nightmare possibilities.

Modifing a Vmania window IS NOT EASY! I did it once. ONCE. It took over two days. That being said Biff will make a set of windows for this top if you wish, but that does not solve your issue.

Did you throw in the towel on your window design? I hope not, I was looking forward to seeing it.

Jeff

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How are the pins tightened? Are there machined wrench flats on them in any location to snug them into the sportbar?

That quick pin idea is really nice. It might make a good stand alone kit for GenI RT/10 owners. I know it's a pain in the butt to get open ended wrenches up in the sport pad when changing it out for the factory hardtop. To be able to snap the sportpad in or out and remove the pins seperately might be kinda nice.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,

They are locked in place with a jam nut that is not pictured on the website (use 1/2" deep socket). I really need to update my pictures as the receivers do not look like that either. I could sell a kit for about $75.

Jeff

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Jeff,

I have not abondoned my windows (yet). My first attempt will probably be a solid window with an easy possibility to make a decent sliding component.

I wasn't too happy with how much play there was in the basic frame - so I just removed the little plastic tab that sits on top of the door with the slot in it. I discovered that I may be able to use 3/32" steel instead of 1/16" steel for the tab that locks the window in place. This might actually reduce a great deal of the lateral play in the window and eliminate the need for the velcro strap at the front of the window - which is what I really am shooting for. As I am an "anti-rattle, anti-wind noise" freak - I am spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to make a window that will be solid and quiet as a top priority.

Let me know more about the sport bar pad modification when you get a chance.

As luck would have it - the weather turned about perfect right after your top arrived. While the AC would be more efficient with the top on - I love riding ******* with the AC blasting - no better Viper driving experience in my opinion :cool: .

PS - how do you "stack" the top in the trunk to maximize trunk space - my top has been sitting in my basement for about the last 2 months - but the one time I did pack it in using some old comforters to protect the panels - it took up quite a bit of space.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use 1/8 thick aluminum for the frame and hook tabs. this slides through the door slot without slop. 1/16 would be to thin, I think. I would love to come up with a way to get rid of the upper velcro strap, but I cannot figure it out.

The conversion to the new style went well. It would probably be best to send it in while your not using it so we can get that done.

The trunk bags make a big difference in how much room is occupied in the trunk. A comforter would probably double the amount of space. The photo on the website has a panel pushed deep inside the passenger cavity with the other two on top of each other more toward the center of the trunk. this takes up most of the right side. The photo is taken to show what remains.

http://www.trunktop.citymaker.com/page/page/1630570.htm

Jeff

Flyviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jeff, I hope you didn't send my top with UPS since they would probably lose it but you DID send it , right ?? Tim Bryant

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought there were alot of people out there that wanted to buy this top?? Where are you? Please let me know if you are interested so we can try to get a group sale for the top. Maybe Jeff will be nice enough to give us a break for us poor Viper owners. Chime in if you are interested.

Chris
98 RT/10

I'd be interested in both the top and windows if the price was right.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, I hope you didn't send my top with UPS since they would probably lose it but you DID send it , right ?? Tim Bryant

Yes, Tim, it went out early last week. I just checked UPS and they said it will be delivered TODAY.

Jeff

Flyviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Received the top yesterday, thanks Jeff. Quality looks good. I won't be able to assemble it til next week then I'll update.

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to be selling my hardtop. It will fit 1997-2002 RT/10. It will also fit 92-96 with a set of custom windows that I can make from lexan. PM me for details or offers. It is like new with new Viper red paint.

Patrick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude