Valve stem seals

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I need some help. I've been going through an engine rebuild after a spun bearing and refreshing the wear parts while I'm there, but I've run into a big ball of confusion. I had a few valve guides that were worn out of spec and had a hard enough time finding replacements, but ended up hunting some down at GSC Power Division. Evidently Dodge decided to change the guide diameters mid-run or something and now I've got a mixed bag and can't find the seals that match the guides. The factory guides are roughly 0.530 OD where the seal fits on them, but the new ones are closer to 0.515. I ordered factory replacement valve seals from Mahle and based on their catalog, they should be for 0.515 guides, but apparently they just swim on top of the new valve guides. I got some from Sealed Power as well that claim to be for 0.530 guides and they fit just the same as the Mahles, so either they are measuring differently or there's a typo in someone's part book.

All that said, it seems like at one point in their life the Viper used a 0.515 valve guide. Anyone out there who has had headwork done and had guides replaced that could tell me what they used for seals? GSC was the only place I found that even sold guides, so I'm guessing that's what most aftermarket headwork people would be using, but they don't list any seals on their site to match.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456