Question about required safety equipment

Flyin Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone list (or provide a pointer to a list of) the required safety equipment for the different drag race ET time ranges? I understand that safety equipment requirements change once you go quicker than 14 seconds, 13 seconds, 12 seconds, etc. I also understand that they differ somewhat between IHRA- and NHRA-sanctioned tracks. Thanks.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

There are several items that must be accomplished as E.T. is lowered. In looking at your avatar, it appears that you own a convertable. You must use a hard top and/or you must have an NHRA approved roll bar if you run faster than 13.99. You must also have a SNELL approved helmet with a rating of 90 or higher for any car running faster than 13.99

At 11.99 you need to have a Roll Bar with Side bar on at least the drivers side that attaches in a total of (5) points on the vehicle, and a (5) way harness for the driver. Driveshaft and axle safety loops are also required.

At 10.99 to 10.00 with the factory frame and firewall you are required to have aftermarket axles and wheel studs, transmission and flywheel shielding/blanketing, an approved SFI vibration dampner and a few other devices.

at 9.99 and below you will be required to have an (8) point Roll CAGE that completely encases the driver and must be certified and rechecked every 36 months. This is evident by a sticker that is date-marked and placed on the roll cage, a SFI approved driving suit, a SFI approved window net on the drivers side(can be substituted with arm restraints)and a competition drivers license that is obtained through a FAA 3rd class flight physical, an application and finally a series of 1/4 mile runs of which 2 must be 9.99 or faster.

I hope that this information helps. This list is not complete. One thing to consider is that most tracks are loose with regards to some of these regulations. Check with your local tracks to find out approximately what you can get away with should you not wish to invest in some of the required equipment.

Best of luck,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com