Question about srt viper sales

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to SRT engineers at VOI in Utah. They mentioned at the time that they had done extensive suspension work with the magnetic shocks, and came to the understanding that on the Viper suspension that was not the way to go. It was not the expense, but the results that had them deciding on another route.

I do not believe that SRT is holding anything back. They are getting Vipers built and out the door as fast as they possibly can, while dealing with tons of regulatory and compliance items. Everything must be approved by Chrysler as well as the Federal Government and EPA before they can go to customers. Suppliers are ramping up to quality and volume goals, and the line is learning every day how to make these some of the finest vehicles ever produced by the company.

From what I understand, end customers are wanting more cars, the dealers are wanting more allocation, the ViperNation has received the cars to great acclaim. The issue is getting more cars out the door, rather than being sales restraigned.

Most dealers are asking over sticker for their very limited allocation. As usual some internet vendors are offering the lowest prices, the only on a sliver of the cars. Lots of stories already on how some of the low looking prices come with conditions.

Guess there are two choices here. Beat up SRT for every mistake they might have made in the past, or look forward to many years of great pleasure driving a car that most can only dream of owning.

For any order that is cancelled, it just provides a car for someone else to snap up. Hard to tell who looses here, but it gives the dealership the opportunity to sell the car for $$$ over sticker (that they had already ordered for sticker price delivery) and gives them one more car over their allocation. Sometimes this is the only way that a floor salesperson has a shot at making some bonus bucks.

I remember back in 96 when Chrysler required a voucher to even order a new Coupe. The demand was so great that many buyers quickly flipped their cars for a fast profit (that sure killed the voucher program). Dealers were praying for a cancellation so they could add a nice additional markup.

Thank you for a post that has good information and lots of common sense.

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guess there are two choices here. Beat up SRT for every mistake they might have made in the past, or look forward to many years of great pleasure driving a car that most can only dream of owning.

Well said. I'm taking the second path. Whatever the cause of the problems, i'm just happy they brought the Viper back and grateful to be able to enjoy such a fine machine.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"My dad used to run a small grocery/butcher shop. Often people would come in and ask if he would match the lower milk prices down the street at the big store. He asked why they did not just buy it there, and they would reply that they are out. Dad would reply, "If I was out I could advertise them cheaper too."

^^^^ :lmao:

You said your dad USED TO run a small store.... I can only assume that it is out of business and closed now that the discounter down the street ate him up with better pricing......

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Losing to the ZR1 didn't bother me, it was that they squandered the opportunity with a pre-production model that they hadn't finished sorting suspension on and then blamed Randy Pobst for their loss. Then they come back with a much less streetable special TA to put up against it for a win, and the fully sorted SRT and GTS that still loses to the old Vette. I think the final SRT and GTS are more than respectable, but that taking the time to get them right would have got the job done without need for the TA. I don't think anyone could argue that going to the more sophisticated magnetic damper available in even a base Stingray, and on my 2010 XKR, wouldn't have made a significant difference, and improved the car for daily use. They tried to rush it and lost...and still are.

Ralph said that Viper gen5 lost against the old ZR1 because the Viper they gave for testing against the ZR1 had a major alignment issue that they found after they got the car back. Ralphs own words in a sit down interview video on youtube with the editors and writers of MotorTrend. You can find the video interview on youtube posted by Motor Trend.
You have to give Ralph credit for bring back the Viper and fighting so hard and defending its (and his) reputation under objective testing that did not pan out in his favor.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to SRT engineers at VOI in Utah. They mentioned at the time that they had done extensive suspension work with the magnetic shocks, and came to the understanding that on the Viper suspension that was not the way to go. It was not the expense, but the results that had them deciding on another route.

I do not believe that SRT is holding anything back. They are getting Vipers built and out the door as fast as they possibly can, while dealing with tons of regulatory and compliance items. Everything must be approved by Chrysler as well as the Federal Government and EPA before they can go to customers. Suppliers are ramping up to quality and volume goals, and the line is learning every day how to make these some of the finest vehicles ever produced by the company.

From what I understand, end customers are wanting more cars, the dealers are wanting more allocation, the ViperNation has received the cars to great acclaim. The issue is getting more cars out the door, rather than being sales restraigned.

Most dealers are asking over sticker for their very limited allocation. As usual some internet vendors are offering the lowest prices, the only on a sliver of the cars. Lots of stories already on how some of the low looking prices come with conditions.

For any order that is cancelled, it just provides a car for someone else to snap up. Hard to tell who looses here, but it gives the dealership the opportunity to sell the car for $$$ over sticker (that they had already ordered for sticker price delivery) and gives them one more car over their allocation. Sometimes this is the only way that a floor salesperson has a shot at making some bonus bucks.

I remember back in 96 when Chrysler required a voucher to even order a new Coupe. The demand was so great that many buyers quickly flipped their cars for a fast profit (that sure killed the voucher program). Dealers were praying for a cancellation so they could add a nice additional markup.

I think SRT lied to you lol. First they say carbon ceramic brakes are going to blow up then they say an MR system isn't good enough? I think they are just making excuses for their shortcomings at this point for the 2 major components the car is seriously lacking than most all other cars have at this price point. Even an m6 at 10-20k cheaper has CC brakes a constant electronic suspension. If MR and CC brakes are good enough for ferrari they should be good enough for viper. There is nothing crazy unique about the viper suspension.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph said that Viper gen5 lost against the old ZR1 because the Viper they gave for testing against the ZR1 had a major alignment issue that they found after they got the car back. Ralphs own words in a sit down interview video on youtube with the editors and writers of MotorTrend. You can find the video interview on youtube posted by Motor Trend.
You have to give Ralph credit for bring back the Viper and fighting so hard and defending its (and his) reputation under objective testing that did not pan out in his favor.

He said it had too much caster or something like that and that the shocks were way too stiff. I think the reality was that is how they wanted the car to go out then when motortrend did that test they were like oh sh** we fu**ed up lets redo it lol.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All this is great and all, but it is a bit silly. There is no reason that custom orders like MoparMan where delayed forever, while there are cars with the exact same specs sitting on dealer lots.

There is not an excuse in the world that can come up with an answer for that. That is the problem.

No one cares that there were production delays. I think everyone should have expected that. What does get under peoples skin is unsold cars built first and no communication. There is not a single excuse for either one of those failures.

"It is a great car!" still doesn't make what occurred right. I love my Gen V, but I'd think twice about ordering another one and I'd advise anyone else to do the same. If SRT wants to play in the big boys club, they need to step up their game. Again, there is simply no excuse.

I hope SRT takes the feedback to heart, because they should do well. I don't think cars are flying off showroom floors like you seem to believe, thats a bit of well wishing IMHO.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He said it had too much caster or something like that and that the shocks were way too stiff. I think the reality was that is how they wanted the car to go out then when motortrend did that test they were like oh sh** we fu**ed up lets redo it lol.

I agree. I had a weird feeling about the "truth' of the statement that the Viper lost to the ZR1 due to an alignment issue. With the launch of an entirely new car riding on the results of the Motor Trend test I cannot see how they would let a car out into someone's hands for testing with out going over the car 3 or 4 times to be sure that it would perform and be set up properly. Its not like a test done by Consumer Reports Magazine, that actually buys a car from a dealer to test. Ralph gave them the car and knew what it was to be used for. And I agree that I find a bit of Ralphs comments a quite weird at times and defensive. Like the time he said on a youtube video that there will be a paddle shifter for the Viper in the future. So Chrysler will build a paddle transmission for the Viper that sells 1500 copies a year ? Some things do not add up but I have to give him credit for resurrecting the Viper and fighting to keep it around against such odds.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this is great and all, but it is a bit silly. There is no reason that custom orders like MoparMan where delayed forever, while there are cars with the exact same specs sitting on dealer lots.

There is not an excuse in the world that can come up with an answer for that. That is the problem.

No one cares that there were production delays. I think everyone should have expected that. What does get under peoples skin is unsold cars built first and no communication. There is not a single excuse for either one of those failures.

"It is a great car!" still doesn't make what occurred right. I love my Gen V, but I'd think twice about ordering another one and I'd advise anyone else to do the same. If SRT wants to play in the big boys club, they need to step up their game. Again, there is simply no excuse.

I hope SRT takes the feedback to heart, because they should do well. I don't think cars are flying off showroom floors like you seem to believe, thats a bit of well wishing IMHO.

So when are you going to take me for a ride in it since you live like 20 minutes from me? lol

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I had a weird feeling about the "truth' of the statement that the Viper lost to the ZR1 due to an alignment issue. With the launch of an entirely new car riding on the results of the Motor Trend test I cannot see how they would let a car out into someone's hands for testing with out going over the car 3 or 4 times to be sure that it would perform and be set up properly. Its not like a test done by Consumer Reports Magazine, that actually buys a car from a dealer to test. Ralph gave them the car and knew what it was to be used for. And I agree that I find a bit of Ralphs comments a quite weird at times and defensive. Like the time he said on a youtube video that there will be a paddle shifter for the Viper in the future. So Chrysler will build a paddle transmission for the Viper that sells 1500 copies a year ? Some things do not add up but I have to give him credit for resurrecting the Viper and fighting to keep it around against such odds.

He gets lots of credit for bringing the car back, they just should use this time to fix these hiccups and not just add 1500 dollars to the price of the car for nonesense.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Whatever the faults on the original test were, the biggest problem that SRT faces is that the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are a faster tire than the Pirellis. The old ACR had the PSCs and now the 2010+ ZR1 has them.

Also, Ralph did not say there was going to be a paddle shifter, he said that he wanted to see them on the Gen V. Whether that happens or not is not yet clear.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever the faults on the original test were, the biggest problem that SRT faces is that the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are a faster tire than the Pirellis. The old ACR had the PSCs and now the 2010+ ZR1 has them.

Also, Ralph did not say there was going to be a paddle shifter, he said that he wanted to see them on the Gen V. Whether that happens or not is not yet clear.

NO YOU ARE WRONG.... he did say there will be a paddle shifter automatic transmission

go to this Video and watch at the 7:03 mark and hear as he states in his own words ......http://youtu.be/vad5WOoF1F8

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

well-put indeed.
the no-communication thing is complete distress

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Ralph and SRT could turn around the ill feelings of their strongest supporters by recognizing that they made a major mistake in not filling pre-sold cars first, or among the first, acknowledge how that was not fair to their strongest supporters that had ordered them, apologize unreservedly (and without deflecting blame to suppliers and such), make some effort to make it right to those buyers that were affected, and commit to communicating better and take steps to serve their customers better at their own level... and dealership level. I would respect them if they did that, and I think that would completely restore my passion to own a new Viper.

One such step could be a phone number to contact at SRT to arrange a proper viewing at a local dealer. They could contact the dealer with the prospective buyers details so that they could contact them to make arrangements. SRT could then follow-up with both parties, learn from the feedback, and make any changes necessary to help enthusiasts buy the car.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good ! They can strart the process with DV400496.
Ordered mid-decembre (first day that canadian orders were open) and even when I call customer service, all they say is they have no info on the build.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO YOU ARE WRONG.... he did say there will be a paddle shifter automatic transmission

go to this Video and watch at the 7:03 mark and hear as he states in his own words ......http://youtu.be/vad5WOoF1F8
Awesome. That will be fun to see. I am very interested to see where they pull the Paddle Shifting system from. It is going to have to be a good one to handle the power. Ferrari? Lamborghini? BMW? Audi? Okay, I am getting too excited.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a manufacturing standpoint there is a very good reason (although not being a part of their system I do not know if it is their reason). Specifically, process improvement and quality given that it they are hand built products and they are launching a new product - building 150 GTS that are exactly the same then repeating for the SRT's means the processes can be established, settled and improved before adding variation into these same manufacturing processes. In other words, this approach has great potential to help improve the quality and efficiency of the manufacturing but that doesn't make it any easier to wait! Perhaps communication that the launch edition would commence building on date X and an expectation that production of custom orders (non-launch edition) on date Y may have been helpful. Here is hoping that after a few rides the smiles will help wipe away the memory of waiting - if not get back in the car and take it for a spin and repeat as often as necessary.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a manufacturing standpoint there is a very good reason (although not being a part of their system I do not know if it is their reason). Specifically, process improvement and quality given that it they are hand built products and they are launching a new product - building 150 GTS that are exactly the same then repeating for the SRT's means the processes can be established, settled and improved before adding variation into these same manufacturing processes. In other words, this approach has great potential to help improve the quality and efficiency of the manufacturing but that doesn't make it any easier to wait! Perhaps communication that the launch edition would commence building on date X and an expectation that production of custom orders (non-launch edition) on date Y may have been helpful. Here is hoping that after a few rides the smiles will help wipe away the memory of waiting - if not get back in the car and take it for a spin and repeat as often as necessary.

Nobody complained about the blue/white Launch Editions getting built first. That was expected, as they did so in '06 with the blue/white First Editions also.

What most of us (myself included) did not like to see, was the solid red Track Pack SRT cars and other non-custom ordered inventory cars get built before those of us that put a deposit down to order the first cars built. There should have been the LE's, a handful of dealer demo cars, and then the custom ordered cars. No inventory dealer ordered custom cars should have been built before paid customer cars were built. That is why many people have cancelled and become frustrated.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody complained about the blue/white Launch Editions getting built first. That was expected, as they did so in '06 with the blue/white First Editions also.

What most of us (myself included) did not like to see, was the solid red Track Pack SRT cars and other non-custom ordered inventory cars get built before those of us that put a deposit down to order the first cars built. There should have been the LE's, a handful of dealer demo cars, and then the custom ordered cars. No inventory dealer ordered custom cars should have been built before paid customer cars were built. That is why many people have cancelled and become frustrated.

I didn't even mind the 100 track pack SRT cars. I get it, get 300 done so you get the build process down. They should have immediately built the deposit down, custom build orders. There simply is no other way it should have been done. The cars out on the roads instead of dealer show rooms rusting would have done wonders for SRT itself. The attention the car draws out on the road would have been the best marketing available for SRT.

I get production delays, anyone who has the means to buy this car should be business savvy enough to know supply issues happen and launching a new product isn't without its flaws.

A call from SRT, a call from Ralph himself, would have smoothed over a lot of peoples frustrations.

You under promise and over deliver. SRT got this launch backwards in that department. Again, the car is fantastic, I shouldn't have had so much pain trying to spend $100k+ - nor should anyone else.

eachey51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph said in a interview that the car was tested with the corvettes tires and was 2-3 seconds faster!

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph said in a interview that the car was tested with the corvettes tires and was 2-3 seconds faster!

The relationship that Fiat/Ferrari has with Pirelli is forcing this poor choice in tires on us. Michelin has the best rubber available and we should be using them.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The relationship that Fiat/Ferrari has with Pirelli is forcing this poor choice in tires on us. Michelin has the best rubber available and we should be using them.

So after a year when the thread runs out switch to the MPSS. Though the p zero corsa is better than the MPSS. The p zero corsa is a competitor to the sport cup tire which the sport cup is better.

eachey51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently pirelli has tires that compete with the sport cups but they r not big enough. They r currently in development and we shud see them on the acr

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently pirelli has tires that compete with the sport cups but they r not big enough. They r currently in development and we shud see them on the acr

I'll believe it when I see it. Who says its better? Dodge? Ralph? Pirelli? They are paid to make statements that its better. I have yet to see Pirelli make a better tire.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That video is linkdead. Do you have another link I can view?

I'm going by the interview that was published in Car and Driver where Gilles stated this about the auto box.
http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ade-it-happen-feature-built-in-detroit-page-4

Gilles: There will be a time in the future when I’d like to have an automatic. But the cost of developing it right now would have equaled the cost of the whole program.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That video is linkdead. Do you have another link I can view?

I'm going by the interview that was published in Car and Driver where Gilles stated this about the auto box.
http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ade-it-happen-feature-built-in-detroit-page-4

Gilles: There will be a time in the future when I’d like to have an automatic. But the cost of developing it right now would have equaled the cost of the whole program.

Here is the original video where Ralph states the GEN 5 Viper will have an automated transmission... discussion begins at 7:09 and he states Viper will have auto transmission at 7:30 FROM RALPHS MOUTH

http://youtu.be/7XjKfXbUO0g

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
buying this car is not only a pain, it ***** to wait in limbo and it's growing negativley on me.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll probably vent some serious steam and one mode will close this thread!

FOViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. Who says its better? Dodge? Ralph? Pirelli? They are paid to make statements that its better. I have yet to see Pirelli make a better tire.

I say it, I've driven on them. Trefeo R's. Google them.