Question about throttle

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the Gen II and III Vipers use a direct cable linkage between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body air valve? I tried searching for this, but got no matches. One of my vehicles has 'drive by wire' throttle (Tundra), and there's a cable that runs from the gas pedal to the throttle body, but the cable doesn't directly open the valve; a servomotor actually opens the throttle, so there is no direct connection between your foot and the throttle valve.

I don't like the way it operates, since the computer limits the throttle opening, for emissions, reliability, safety, etc. It's fine when you're doing normal day to day driving, but when you want to 'play rough', the computer won't give you all the power that's available, under certain conditions. I'm sure the Vipers don't use this system (yet), but I'd like to confirm this. I think in the future, most vehicles will have 'drive by wire' throttles, to meet ULEV standards. For now, I definitely like direct throttle linkages better, since you at least have full control of the air valve. I don't like the computer being the 'middleman', taking some of the fun away.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GenII is direct linkage - I'm betting that GenIIIs are the same way (thankfully)...two of my other cars are drive by wire and you do notice it (in my case, hate it).

OP
OP
Z

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick answers! I'm glad the Vipers use direct linkages instead of drive by wire. Let's hope they stay that way!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960