Question: Easy ON/OFF car cover for Gen3 Coupe, to protect paint from sun?

Thom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for a car cover to fit a 2006 coupe.

My main reason for the cover is to protect the car's paint from UV fading when I drive it to work, where it sits in the sun all day.

I'm hoping to find a cover that goes on and off easily, plus doesn't blow off when windy. Extra UV resistance would be nice, but I could live with a cover that only lasts a few months to a year, provided it's cheap.

Any suggestions?

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Get with California Car Covers--they have a large assortment for many applications. Google them for their phone # and they will help you get the right cover for your situation. I've used them for years and been very happy. Their covers fit like a glove--Dave

Ryan SRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i ordered one from snake oyl while i was working overseas and found out it was backorded so i canceled my order. After emails and calling and talking to Kurtis still no car cover or my $322.23! And this was Oct of 2010...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Coverking makes a variety of car covers to fit the Gen III, Gen IV and Gen IV ACR Vipers. Good quality at a reasonable price. www.coverking.com

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using a car cover outdoors is not good for your paint, on a windy day the sand gets blown between the cover and paint than flapping around in long terms will scratch, same apply when trailing a car. Also when your putting it on and off everyday will scratch of the cover has sand in it.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weathershield fabric is rated best for UV protection. It is light and can be rolled up in a compact form. However, wind does make it billow and move around. The Evolution type fabrics that I've used tend to break down in a year or two of sunny days in the parking lot at work. Cloth/flannel is heavier and better at staying put but it occupies a bigger space when folded up. There are trade-offs on all of them.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using a car cover outdoors is not good for your paint, on a windy day the sand gets blown between the cover and paint than flapping around in long terms will scratch, same apply when trailing a car. Also when your putting it on and off everyday will scratch of the cover has sand in it.

A good UV wax is a much better alternative.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I agree about using a cover outside--wind and dust can really be bad. My covers are all flannel ( very soft) and only used indoors to keep dust off and also serve as protection from minor impacts that can happen when moving about the cars--Dave

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine had a nice red Vette vert and kept it covered up at the beach. I saw him a few years ago and asked about the Vette. He said it was ruined from sand getting under the car cover and the paint looked like it has been sand blasted.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I guess using a cover outdoors depends somewhat on where you live.

Here in So Cal, away from the beach, sun is the primary culprit. I cover one of my Vipers that spends some time outdoors but remove the cover on windy days. While we get a few windy days here, we don't get many and the cover prevents much more severe damage to the interior and to the exterior weather seals, plastic, paint, etc.

I would recommend that you wash the car before you cover it as dirt trapped between the cover and the paint can cause very minor scratches.

As above, there are pluses and minuses to almost everything.

Dan