Question for Tom, F&L GoR about two stroke oils

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fourth of a new series in the VCA forums.... since I copy/paste from ***, the format may be awkward, as you may have to start at the bottom and work your way up. Sorry about that.

Many of you send me *** with oil questions. I will answer to you personally, but I think I will also put up my answers as a new thread. Feel free to send me ***, my User CP is set to bounce it to my email so I will respond more quickly to you than to a new thread. I'll hide/change the names to protect the innocent. I just hope it doesn't swamp me...

Tom, Thanks a bunch for taking the time to answer my question. I bought a small container of the Husky oil at the recommendation of the small engine repair shop, and because Husky owns Poulan. I have the Silkoloene in inveventory already so that is why I asked about it.
Once again, I thank you for your time and trouble. I'll do a cheaper motorcycle oil in the future.

pppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom, F&L GoR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppp
Tom- I just bought a Poulan Pro blower, and it requires two stroke synthetic oil mixed at 40:1.
Can I use motorcycle oil, specifically Silkolene pro 2?

Can I use XP Synthetic blend from Husqvarna?

Is there anything special to look out for in the synthetic two stroke oils?

Thanks for your time!
pppp

Hi there.

Since 2T engines consume the oil that is mixed with the fuel, the combustion properties are important. Not just to reduce deposits inside the engine, but in these days, the exhaust emission levels, too. Synthetic 2T oils are therefore an improvement since they will burn cleaner inside and outside the engine.

In automobile engine oils, an oil called a "synthetic blend" cannot contain more than 30% synthetic base oil. Usually they only have 15% synthetic base oil. This comes about because the engine test program to qualify a formulation is usually conducted in a mineral oil and the technical rules of base oil substitution only go up to 30%. If it is more, then the engine test program must be re-done. So for the cost of a mineral oil program, the marketed can get a semi-synthetic product qualified also. A full synthetic oil would have to be tested in it's own program.

I don't know what the rules for a semi-synthetic 2T oil are, but suspect that "semi-synthetic" or "synthetic blend" is still a marketing claim rather than a performance claim. To me, a synthetic blend is a little better than the mineral oil and not that close to a full synthetic.

Poulan stated they want you to use a full synthetic, so that might rule out the Husky oil. At the other extreme, the Silkolene 2T oil is an ester-based formulation. That's a very good and expensive type of synthetic base oil. You could use that, but I am a cheapskate and for a blower or weedwacker would look for something less costly.

I would stay with oils claiming motorcycle use. There is something a little different about 2T engines for marine use - can't now recall what, only that I didn't think it was a good thing.

-Tom

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62