Question on Heat

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the car out last night. It was a cold night and the wife wanted the heat on. I put the thermostat to heat and put the setting to the dash so the hot air would keep her warm. Only cold air came out. When i put the setting to feet hot air came out.
My questions is, should cold air come out on the dash setting when i have the thermostat set to hot?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
No...and yes...In a Gen I and II, you normally only can get cold air from the "dash vents" when you dial the air flow position selector to the LEFT side of dead center (turn counterclockwise)...AND, in fact you can get cold air with this setup whether the blue/red temp control is set to red or blue!!!(which is the way I personally get A/C in summer so that the heater core is actively in the coolant flow ALL YEAR, and less likely to corrode as I believe it does if the water valve is closed for long periods of time).

To get "heat on her feet", set the air flow selector to the RIGHT of center (turn clockwise) WITHOUT going to the defrost setting, AND turn the temp selector to red...boost with fan to help...and there should be NO AIR FLOW from the "dash vents" at this time. If you STILL get air out of the "dash vents" with the dials "RIGHT", suspect a vacuum comtrol mal-function.

If you are getting cold air out of the defroster and/or floor vents with the dials all to the RIGHT, check engine temp AND coolant levels next.

If all else fails...call someone for more details.

Good luck.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:), I asked this question about 4-5 years ago.. First witner with a Viper, eh?

OP
OP
S

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. January will be one year. I still look at in the garage everyday, and thank god that i got the car of my dreams.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen I and II HVAC system does not have mixing capability. Heating and cooling are separate duct systems and the heater core is flowed through only when in the heat/defrost mode.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
NOTE: If the heat is WARM /Cool, and wont GET hot..... your coolant is low, and air is in the core.
Needs to be BURPED!!