Question on STOPTECH Big Brake kit

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly is in the standard Stoptech Big Brake Kit versus additional options? I'm mainly interested in the calipers. Is it a 6 piston front with 4 piston rear? Or are all four calipers 4 piston? Is there a rotor size option (I know there is a slotted, drilled, plain option)?

I tried to find viper specific info on their website but I'm a little dense today so I apologize.

Reaction score
What exactly is in the standard Stoptech Big Brake Kit versus additional options? I'm mainly interested in the calipers. Is it a 6 piston front with 4 piston rear? Or are all four calipers 4 piston? Is there a rotor size option (I know there is a slotted, drilled, plain option)?

I tried to find viper specific info on their website but I'm a little dense today so I

apologize.

Rotor size depends some what on the caliper. Generally the 6 pistons get the 355mm and the 4 pistons get the 328mm. There are some BBK that are just the fronts. The Front and rear together are in the $5600 range complete. If you would like a complete quote just call.

Thanks,

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mark. So is the typical BBK ($5600?) come with 6 pistons in the front and 4 in the rear?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a Stoptech sales guy, and some of this won't apply, but... can't help myself.

1) Stoptech front calipers only - these are the calipers that have smaller than OEM pistons to allow more work to be done by the rear brake. (I modeled the original 38mm rear caliper size to this.)
2) Stoptech front caliper with rotor - rotor is larger diameter, so more leverage, and still uses smaller piston diameter caliper. Oddly, this puts more braking back up front, where the OEM system is.
3) Stoptech 4 caliper kit - don't follow this because with 4-piston on the rear you use proportioning valve to lessen clamping force.

I'm obviously a one-piston kind of guy, but a little reading shows that the number of pistons aren't the key - it is the size of the brake pad that drives the number of pistons. Eventually, the ultimate braking capacity under all conditions comes from the largest pads.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mark. So is the typical BBK ($5600?) come with 6 pistons in the front and 4 in the rear?

OMG, You'll have more pistons to slow you down than speed you up...

:omg: If you can withstand the piston envy, a 40mm rear caliper swap will provide very similar performance for 12% of that cost. And keep your ying-yang in balance with 10 pistons to go and 10 to stop.

v-ying-yang_rg2.JPG

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :dunno:

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG, You'll have more pistons to slow you down than speed you up...

:omg: If you can withstand the piston envy, a 40mm rear caliper swap will provide very similar performance for 12% of that cost. And keep your ying-yang in balance with 10 pistons to go and 10 to stop.

v-ying-yang_rg2.JPG

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :dunno:

:rolaugh:....I already have your 40mm Tom.:D

They do work good!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I tried to find viper specific info on their website but I'm a little dense today so I apologize.

Ian----
Standard kit includes calipers choice of 2 colors Red or Black, Slotted or plain 2pc Aero rotors, SS lines, bracketry for calipers, AXXIS Pads.
ABS cars require an extra-cost E-brake caliper setup... non ABS dont. Saves $$$ !
Options include colors and drilling and pad choices and fluid. (PartsRack includes fluid)

If you choose the 6-piston kit, the rears are 4 piston.
If you chose the 4 piston kit, all Four are 4.
Rotor options exist for smaller wheels......the caliper and brackets limit diameter to 355mm 4 or 6

I hope this adds a bit....

[We just had a BIG Feb sale on StopTech....but can probably squeek you in! ]

Last edited:

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Standard kit includes calipers choice of 2 colors Red or Black, Slotted or plain 2pc Aero rotors, SS lines, bracketry for calipers, AXXIS Pads.
ABS cars require an extra-cost E-brake caliper setup... non ABS dont. Saves $$$ !
Options include colors and drilling and pad choices and fluid. (PartsRack includes fluid)

If you choose the 6-piston kit, the rears are 4 piston.
If you chose the 4 piston kit, all Four are 4.
Rotor options exist for smaller wheels......the caliper and brackets limit diameter

I hope this adds a bit....

[We just had a BIG Feb sale on StopTech....but can probably squeek you in! ]

I can see myself spending the money for these now. They look and perform awesome.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I can see myself spending the money for these now. They look and perform awesome.

Back in the Gen 2 Heyday, Car and Driver compared 5 big brake kits.
The Viper StopTech 4-piston kit was done on a PartsRack customer 2001 GTS.

It was good in every category but WON these categories:

-Most Improved Stop distance 100mph - 0
-Ease of install
-Best Value

Admittedly it won 100-0 improvement because GEN 2 OE Brakes **** !

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a comparison on the STOPTECH vs the Gen3 brake swap on a Gen1/Gen2? I would think they would be similar, but don't have any comparison data to really see.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am interested in this 4 wheel kit also for my 99 GTS. Does the 4 piston or 6 piston front provide better brake balance for the system? My driving will be mostly street only. Thanks-

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the full adjustable valve kit, comes with new s/s lines and all the correct line fittings for a full bolt in:omg:

You must be registered for see images attach

This kit is for 92-00 Vipers

Dave's Big Brakes
858-382-4713 cell

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have an extra used Bear (Alcon) 4 wheel kit if anyone needs. Lighter then the Stoptech.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang