Question regarding cruise control install

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the SnakeOyl cruise control for my '02 GTS in preparation for the drive through the desert to VOI.
The installation instructions are pretty skimpy on step by step....but so far everything is going in as expected...EXCEPT I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get the small wiring harness through the upper toe box for the remote receiver. It appears that I would have to drill a pretty good size hole to get the connector through.

How did you guys do it? Is there an alternative way to get the wires through.

Thanks,
Lance

OP
OP

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see a small rubber grommet on the top that is about 5/8" diameter... but the hole through the metal is only about 1/2". The wire connector is a 4 wire and is about 1/4" x 3/4" wide. I would have to cut at least 3/4" diameter hole or a bunch of 1/4" holes side by side and file it to shape to get it through. It just doesn't seem right.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Why don't you cut the wire/ harness and then solder the wires on the otherside. That way you don't have to cut a big hole.

Reaction score
What AB said....or you CAN enlarge the whole and fashion a fitting. Either way works. If I were home I would take a picture of how I routed the wires through the passenger side. I enlarged the hole a little bit to accomodate the fitting. Good luck!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine had connectors in the middle that allowed you to disconnect part of the wiring harness, enough that it would fit through a 1/2" hole, which I drilled underneath the big C-100 connector, then sealed it back up with clear silicone sealant after passing the wires through, then mounting the receiver on the left wall of the drivers footwell just underneath the hole.

I do happen to note that the advertisement for the thing says that no such holes are needed, yet the instructions say that the receiver is not weatherproof, and needs to be inside the passenger compartment, which would seem to me to be a contradiction.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lance, I just installed the Snkoyl kit last week on my 98 GTS.Unscrew the bolt on the big firewall plug disconnect it. Then push the clips that hold the inside plug in and push it back. Lookn from the hood side file or die grind the right lower corner big enough for the 1/4"" wire. after reaassemble I put some black gaulk on the hole. Also run the wire cover into the car and all looks stock. I also didn't like the mounting they had for the servo box. I removed the washer bottle and installed below bottle. It's tigh to clutch cylinder but works and you cant' see it. trimmed the box aluminum cover down and bolts from under fender well. All the wires are covered under fuse box lower cover. They also say that they are preprogrammed from factory but mine wouldn't work and it was because of programming so followed their directions and works now. The range isn't very far so I mounted along the steering whell with velco instead of by the rear view mirror. Be sure to check the wire color codes from the back of the plug so you know you are lookn at the plug right. I shaved the wires with an Exacto knife and soldered all the wires on. Good Luck and PM if needs. Ray

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...and how does this cruise control perform? Does it **** or is it pretty darn good?

I had it on my '97 GTS. It works fantastic. These cars have so much torque, the motor runs with no effort at 75-80 MPH regardless of changing grades in the road. Well worth the money, and I'll purchase another one for sure.

OP
OP

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. Like Randy said..."No holes required"...but you really have no choice if you mount the receiver inside. I didn't want to drill a hole and then find out that there was another way to do it that I didn't know about.

Lance

Silver98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cut a smaller hole just beneath the large connector. It worked fine for me.

You must be registered for see images

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The receiver can be mounted underneath the windshield cowl (outside) eliminating and "hole" issues if it's silicon'd to weatherize. In addition, if you silicone "feet" on it, any water that accumulates on the top of the cowl box will not rise high enough to reach the circuit board. I installed the unit 5 years ago in this fashion and over that time experienced hurricane like downpours with no ill effects. Range of the remote was sufficient to operate with the remote unit mounted to the steering wheel.

Just another option.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery