Question: Wireing an AEM Wideband in place of stock O2 sensor... Wire signals?

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing fuel, Paxton, etc... on my GTS. I feel kind of silly for asking because I think I know the answer but...

(I'm NOT talking about the wires that run up to the pillar gage, I have those taken care of... this is strictly the stock O2 wires connected to the header)
Once I remove the stock O2 sensor and place the Wideband sensor in it's place, I assume I cut / splice in the stock O2 wires into the new Wideband Sensor wires. This will then send the signal to the computer just like the stock O2 sensor did and also send a signal to the AEM gage in my pillar so I can monitor A/F from the drivers seat. However... I have an extra "white wire" on my AEM Wideband sensor, so just trying to figure out what the signals are before attacking this. How do I connect the wires below?

I'm not at home to double check, but if I recall, the stock O2 sensor wires are:
White
Grey
Black

The AEM Wideband has an extra white wire, so:
White
White
Grey
Black

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can just swap out a narrow for a wide like that. I don't think the car will run right. Am I misunderstanding what your trying to do?

Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing fuel, Paxton, etc... on my GTS. I feel kind of silly for asking because I think I know the answer but...

(I'm NOT talking about the wires that run up to the pillar gage, I have those taken care of... this is strictly the stock O2 wires connected to the header)
Once I remove the stock O2 sensor and place the Wideband sensor in it's place, I assume I cut / splice in the stock O2 wires into the new Wideband Sensor wires. This will then send the signal to the computer just like the stock O2 sensor did and also send a signal to the AEM gage in my pillar so I can monitor A/F from the drivers seat. However... I have an extra "white wire" on my AEM Wideband sensor, so just trying to figure out what the signals are before attacking this. How do I connect the wires below?

I'm not at home to double check, but if I recall, the stock O2 sensor wires are:
White
Grey
Black

The AEM Wideband has an extra white wire, so:
White
White
Grey
Black

The Factory 02's ARE four wire narrow band; white, white, black, grey.

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Factory 02's ARE four wire narrow band; white, white, black, grey.

You know, now that I think about it, I was looking at the wires above the connector (from the O2 connector to the PCM), not the wires from the actual O2 sensor to the connector... Maybe there are 4 wires like you are saying but after the connector there are only 3 wires, because 2 got bridged together at the connector. I'll double check tonight. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, it's stock with SCT. I got it all figured out. I just missed a wire last night so will run through it again tonight and connect it all up.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't work since the PCM uses the 02 ground circuit as part of its signal calibration. Its not just a simple case of intercepting the WB sensor voltage output, converting it to a narrow band input, and sending it back to the PCM. Many of us have attempted this very thing with our Innovate WB output since it comes with a nifty narrow-band analogue output as well. But, if you are successful, hats off to ya.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Whoa... hold the phone. The Stock sensor is a 4-wire Narrow Band sensor. The AEM, AKA a Bosche LSU 4.2, is a 5 [or 6 w/Cal] Wideband sensor. You cannot simply wire them in place of each other. They have different designs altogether... and the Stock PCM was never intended to interpret Wideband outputs in any case.

NarrowBand have:

Heater +
Heater -
Signal +
Sensor Ground

Wideband have:

Heater +
Heater -
Pump Current
Pump Voltage
Sensor Ground
Calibration ID

Not exactly interchangeable.

What exactly are you trying to do? It sounds like you are trying to add wideband onto a blower car running SCT w/gauge pod. If that is the case, you need the STOCK O2 in its original location, and ANOTHER sensor **** in the pipe for your AEM Gauge Pod. They need to be completely independent of each other.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang