Questions from the Roundup

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, Guys, I enjoyed meeting everyone and had a great time. Should have written down some contact info, but just got carried away with the moment.

Somebody help me out with some details...

There was someone with an iPhone app to log track info along with video. The track showed up in 3D and the overall app looked really good! It was being shown around down at ART on Friday ... what was the name of the app?

Second, I was talking with someone about a reasonably priced auto helmet and he was loaning one to the 'new guy' that was just starting to look into getting a Viper. The helmet was gray and full face around $100 or so. What was the brand so I can look for it?

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Second, I was talking with someone about a reasonably priced auto helmet and he was loaning one to the 'new guy' that was just starting to look into getting a Viper. The helmet was gray and full face around $100 or so. What was the brand so I can look for it?

You may want to look into motorcycle helmets because of their value and most are snell 2010 certified (some are not so make sure to double check). I got my full face HJC CL-16 from a local motorcycle shop for $129 which has great venting for air flow and anti-fogging. :2tu:

BTW, beautiful sapphire GTS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have nice motorcycle helmets, but Viper Days will only allow you to use a bike helmet for your first event. Then you'r supposed to get a car approved helmet.

Texas 97 GTS B/W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to meet you!! The basic white helmet Karrie had was a Bieffe. It is about 100-150 bucks.

Another brand name that is 100-125 bucks is the Zamp line of helmets.

hope this helps.

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have nice motorcycle helmets, but Viper Days will only allow you to use a bike helmet for your first event. Then you'r supposed to get a car approved helmet.

So what in the world is the difference in requirements between a car and motorcycle helmet if they are both snell 2010? In fact looking at NARRA's website, they only require a snell 2005, not even the new 2010. Unless I am missing something, there should be no reason you could not use a snell 2010 motorcycle helmet. I could be wrong since I am a novice but by going by the ratings there should be no issue. If a HANS capable helmet is required then obviously a motorcycle helmet will not work but that's all I can see.

My apologizes if I'm high jacking this thread some.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, GO FOR IT, I wondered the same thing myself. My research turned up that the protectin from a car helmet and a bike helmet differ considerably. Peronally, I would think either would do, but Narra made a point of only using the bike helmet the first time out.

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, GO FOR IT, I wondered the same thing myself. My research turned up that the protectin from a car helmet and a bike helmet differ considerably. Peronally, I would think either would do, but Narra made a point of only using the bike helmet the first time out.

I did some more research into it and realized there are alpha numeric notations that go along with the snell ratings which clears things up. This link has some good info and a few pages on wikipedia are of good reference also. I guess in the auto racing world the SA is assumed with the 2010 rating and M is assumed in the motorcycle world.

So the snell SA2010 are auto racing helmets that are tested against roll bar impacts and higher impact forces than snell M2010 motorcycle helmets. The motorcycle helmets are tested to lower impact forces since it is assumed the impact will be with the ground parallel to the direction of travel while an auto racing helmet can hit numerous things in a perpendicular impact with much more force. Motorcycle helmets are also NOT tested for multiple impacts, both auto and motorcycles are tested one time for each type of impact. There are many construction differences based on manufacture preference but not because of one being for a motorcycle or auto racing.

Just passing on what I have found. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future. I guess I have a nice motorcycle helmet for garage art now. Funny that the local autocross club has never given issue to guys using motorcycle helmets, at least that I have noticed or heard of.

I also noticed Pyrotect offers some full face helmets directly from their web site for less than $200. Is there a local San Antonio shop that carries a good spread of helmets?

I wish I knew about that Track Pro app, my sister was shooting video with her phone and it would have been cool to have some track info to go along with it.

Last edited:

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did some more research into it and realized there are alpha numeric notations that go along with the snell ratings which clears things up. This link has some good info and a few pages on wikipedia are of good reference also. I guess in the auto racing world the SA is assumed with the 2010 rating and M is assumed in the motorcycle world.

So the snell SA2010 are auto racing helmets that are tested against roll bar impacts and higher impact forces than snell M2010 motorcycle helmets. The motorcycle helmets are tested to lower impact forces since it is assumed the impact will be with the ground parallel to the direction of travel while an auto racing helmet can hit numerous things in a perpendicular impact with much more force. Motorcycle helmets are also NOT tested for multiple impacts, both auto and motorcycles are tested one time for each type of impact. There are many construction differences based on manufacture preference but not because of one being for a motorcycle or auto racing.

Just passing on what I have found. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future. I guess I have a nice motorcycle helmet for garage art now. Funny that the local autocross club has never given issue to guys using motorcycle helmets, at least that I have noticed or heard of.

I also noticed Pyrotect offers some full face helmets directly from their web site for less than $200. Is there a local San Antonio shop that carries a good spread of helmets?

I wish I knew about that Track Pro app, my sister was shooting video with her phone and it would have been cool to have some track info to go along with it.

Nice thing about San Antonio is it is right down the road from Simpson Racing factory in New Braunfels.

Simpson Corporate Headquarters
328 FM 306
New Braunfels, TX 78130
SIMPSON FACTORY STORE, NEW BRAUNFELS, OPEN SATURDAY DURING MARCH
SATURDAY HOURS 9 AM TILL 1 PM
TO ORDER:
EMAIL: [email protected]
TOLL FREE: 800.654.7223
TELEPHONE: 830.625.1774
FAX: 830.625.3269

Can go in try on anything, see how it is made, get it custom fit etc...

I don't do a LOT of track events but got my Simpson Bandit helmet there. Great poeple too!

And if you are luck they will have some demo's in thier showroom for a BIG discount. That is how I got mine

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks! I did not think the Simpson building on the way to Canyon Lake was open for public sales. I will have to stop by and check them out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi