Racing Fuel

DB/Paxton SRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I came across a Union 76 gas station that sells 100 octane unleaded racing fuel for $4.99 per gallon Always looking for a go-fast gimmick, I put in a quarter tank. Unfortunately any improvement in the car's performance was probably imagined.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuel alone won't get you anything. You need to add timing or add boost.....good fuel allows you to do that.

why do alot of guys JUST add race fuel when they race??? no timing or boost nothing, will it give diffrent results on diffrent cars??

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your engine has an octane appetite, and once satisfied, more octane doesn't do anything. As Tony said, a higher octane allows you to make those power-adding changes, but isn't a power-adding characteristic itself.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your engine has an octane appetite, and once satisfied, more octane doesn't do anything. As Tony said, a higher octane allows you to make those power-adding changes, but isn't a power-adding characteristic itself.

Gotcha Thanks

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Higher octane fuel simply means that it takes higher pressure and heat before the fuel will combust or detonate on its own without the assistance of a spark plug. Take our Viper engines for example. Compression and temperatures in Viper engines are higher than in most cars and as a result require higher octane fuel, such as 91. If you were to use 87 octane in your Viper, for example, the potential exists that you’ll have combustion or detonation in the chamber due entirely to pressure and heat before your piston is at top center and the spark plug ignites. This early detonation results in “blow by” (the piston ring) or “knocking.” Super-high octane gas like race fuel is designed for super-high compression engines, which would otherwise suffer from early combustion or detonation with lower octane fuels. Similarly, as suggested by 1Tony1, adding a blower may require the use of higher octane fuel to prevent early detonation if the increased pressure created by adding the blower would be enough to cause early detonation otherwise. Using a higher octane fuel than is required by your engine’s compression and heat doesn’t add anything (e.g., if 93 octane doesn’t combust early, neither will 100 octane, each will wait until sparked by the plug and each will expand the same). Of course knowing this, and knowing that my SRT only requires 91 octane fuel, I still can’t help myself and still put in the 93 octane for few pennies more per gallon. Nothing but the best for the beast I guess! Well, within reason. My Viper and my wallet will NOT be experiencing 100 octane fuel at $5/gal. Well, maybe one gallon some day, just 'cuz.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte