Racing Seats, opinions please

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm planning on ejecting the stock seats and putting in some race seats. The stock seats seemed ok until I actually sat in a race seat. After using a finely tuned scientific instrument (my butt) to test various seats, I think I like the momo mirage the best.

Before I jump in, does anyone have any do's/don'ts for me ahead of time? I'd also like to keep the fore/aft slide motion, but it looks like there are enough adapters out there that I can get something that works.

What has everybody else done?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Check with Bobby Archer Motorsports , as they had some Momos left over at killer prices. They also carry Sparco, and most of the driver's in Viper Days, World Challenge, etc. seem to be running these seats. Can't hurt to go either way, but thought this might be a good place to start----------------------1-817-877-1772.

Ask for Keith if you can't get ahold of Bobby.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The cover story in the Aug-2001 issue of SCCA Racer is titled "Sit Tight". The 7-page consumer analysis is "PRICELESS" info for anyone considering racing seats. For example, it RATES the Momo Mirage vs SIXTY other seats !

Unfortunately, only 6 seats do NOT mention the price...and yours is one. Looks like a good choice for a taller driver. ??

Aluminum will bend and absorb energy on impact. "Fibreglass is considered by many to be the least-safe of all seat foundations...." And the Mirage is Fibreglass. BUT - MANY FIA-Seats are fibreglass! You gotta read the story!

SCCA is in the process of changing seat-to-rollcage mounting requirements to take advantage of energy-absorbing FLEX of newer seats. So do examine the advantages, and "SIT TIGHT."

Try to obtain the magazine from an SCCA member, or "Racer Communications" at: [email protected] 714.259.8240.

OP
OP
M

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew you guys would have some good input! I know Keith & Bobby, I'll give them a call as soon as I get a hold of the SCCA article.

As far as the mirage explicitly, its in the $400-500 range. As far as my size, I'm about 6-1 and pretty skinny so the narrower seats are fine with me, though I may get the wider version for the passenger. I want to make sure when BillP is my instructor the next time that he can fit in the passenger seat
laugh.gif

The only two build options I see for the most part are fiberglass or carbon/kevlar - all are FIA approved. Though I'd bet either is better in an impact than the stock seat- I'm not sure how much I trust that thing.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dear Mark,

Your reference to my Harley Davidson behind ( wide glide ) was very inappropriate. I therefore sentence you to the task of finding excellent Cabernets the next time I come to Calfornia. I figure that way folks will see us on track and say, " There goes the Wino and the Whino!"

OP
OP
M

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Bill,

My friends call me n'asitol, why? ...cause I got "no a$$ at all"! I was merely looking out for those less "gluteally-challenged" than myself
laugh.gif

I'll bring the cabs though, no problem, but don't ask me to install a wine-glass holder for your seat - the so-cal guys give us nor-cal guys a hard enough time as it is.

I'm gonna be at Spring Mountain in October - are you gonna make that event? A ViperDays in Las Vegas I have to witness.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dear Mark,
I promise to slow down and use spellcheck , since in my rush I misspelled California. I am going to try and make it to Pahrump ( the famous Nevada town named after me, ha ), as Spring Mountain Race Course is supposed to be both safe and fun. If I can't make it , I hope to see you in Oklahoma in November. A trip to the Finals should not be missed , and you have enough events to qualify. It is a great place to pick alot of brains on set-ups for the following year. I predict you will be even faster in 2002-got that direct from Ms. Cleo. She also told me your cat is messing around with your neighbor's Persian.Check it out.........