radiator fan blades

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
has anyone replaced just the fan blades on a 2004, according to the book the entire unit must be replaced, $700.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
03-06 fan module [complete unit only] #5290099AD MSRP $792.00:omg: [less 20% = $633 with me] Not a one in Chrysler stock!!

Try Paul Scarf for a used one 800-338-4002.:dunno:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say that Chuck has had the final say on this one but I am curious as to what happened to your fan blades and why do you want to replace them.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You must replace the unit. Mine failed too. The circular plastic "surround" that was molded along the top of the fan blades and one fan blade cracked, broke and came apart. This made the fan vibrate like a washing machine on the spin cycle that's off balance. Very nasty. It eventually cracked all the way through the plastic surround.

I'm guessing that I picked up a rock somehow and it bounced around and broke the fan blade. Either that or the plastic just failed due to stresss. These things can spin pretty fast.

Dan

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would try to dig one up off of a recall car. The fan blade assembly is attached to the pump in the same way a power steering pulley is attached to a power steering pump. Press fit w/a threaded center & shouldered outer for removal/install.

OP
OP
V

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I separated the fan from the motor and did a fiberglass repair. A chunck of the outer ring is gone and the ring separated. The repair looks strong enough, now it's just a matter of the balance. I'll have it together soon and see what happens. Danny, i'll let you know what happens at cars and coffee.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would do what Final said above. You do not want to risk holing your radiator if the repair does not hold up. This is a $90,000 viper, not a neon.

OP
OP
V

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found a cooling module on line, $619 at Mopar parts America, being shipped today. The repair job didn't work, still had bad vibration.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah,

Tough to fix. Glad you found one.

Heard you had a lady back into your GT''s rear view mirror, ARGH!

See you at Irvine Saturday if you make it.

Dan

OP
OP
V

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every time I leave the house lately I feel like there's a bullseye on my cars. One gets fixed just in time for the next disaster.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must replace the unit. Mine failed too. The circular plastic "surround" that was molded along the top of the fan blades and one fan blade cracked, broke and came apart. This made the fan vibrate like a washing machine on the spin cycle that's off balance. Very nasty. It eventually cracked all the way through the plastic surround.

I'm guessing that I picked up a rock somehow and it bounced around and broke the fan blade. Either that or the plastic just failed due to stresss. These things can spin pretty fast.

Dan

Exact same thing happened to me (also an '04) with only 4000 miles on the car. I was on a roadtrip at the time and managed to do a temporary repair with duct tape. Still vibrated pretty bad, but at least the fan didn't completely disentigrate before I got it home. I had it repaired under warrantee, but it took 3 weeks to get the part.

I have heard of this happening quite a few times now. Sounds like they may have had a bad batch of fans at some point.

OP
OP
V

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
The 2008 has twin electric fans that should fit our cars, if you ever have another problem. I will likely switch to them if I have another failure.

The hydraulic fan moves a ton of air compared to the single electrics. No sure how the new 2008 unit compares.

Dan

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 2008 has twin electric fans that should fit our cars, if you ever have another problem. I will likely switch to them if I have another failure.

The hydraulic fan moves a ton of air compared to the single electrics. No sure how the new 2008 unit compares.

Dan

Highly doubtful the 2008 can touch the 03-06 Hydraulic unit with a 10 ft pole. Hydraulic units produce extremely high torque and RPM and can run very agressive fan blade pitches. The hydraulic motor used on the Viper is likely in the 3-5 horsepower range, figuring a 25-35% efficiency. Think of how big even a 1 horsepower electric motor is by comparison.

The Hydraulic system was axed because of cost, virtually garaunteed...not a cheap system to make, and it also had its teething problems in 03, as well as some issues like above- most likely related to the balancing method. Due to the fan speed, it needed to be balanced (that what those steel BB's are jammed into the outside) Some of them likely cracked where the BB's were inserted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper