Radiator Fan Question, 2000 RT/10

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had an issue the last couple of weeks with my car overheating. Sometimes the electric fan does not come on. I've checked the relay's and the wiring since the last time it happened which was two weeks ago, but it happened agian yesterday. The car got to almost 250, tried shutting it off and on a few times and nothing, then when I was just about to shut it down for a while to cool, the fan came on and cooled the motor down. Worked fine the rest of my trip. Drove the car again today with no problem.

Has anyone else had intermittent electric fan issues?

I've been told possibly a bad sender, but on these cars doesn't the sender relay the coolant temp to the PCM and then the PCM tells the fan to go on. If the sender is bad, wouldn't the temp gauge be malfunctioning too?

Thanks in advance!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In case you are out playing again and it starts to heat up (no fan) turn on the A/C. Or you could pull the A/C fuse and then turn the A/C on. The fan should be on at that point. I'm not sure how that could help the diagnoses.
It would be nice to see what a DRB would say when the fan wasn't working...as in the coolant temp and if it is calling for the fan to be on.

OP
OP
M

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tony,
I didn't have my scan tool with me, but do have it in the car now, so we shall see. I actually did have the AC on the first time it heated up. I shut it down and turned the AC back on, but either on or off the fan still didn't work.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two speeds for the fan(low&high). On my old car, the low speed switch failed(only came on high). I forgot if it was a fan failure or a sensor failure, but something to look at.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like it's most likely a connector? Try unplugging and pugging the connectors a few times and see if that works. It's undoubtedly the cheapest fix possible.

Ted