Radiator questions

jim93rt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems that the radiator in my 93 decided to go hissssss like a true viper. Does anyone know if it's covered by the extended warranty? If not would it be wise to upgrade it?, and if so who makes the best radiators. Thanks jim

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In one sense, you have to upgrade. The original radiator is not available, although the only difference between old and new is how the fan shroud mounts. And because the shroud is only reinforced in certain locations, you can't use a new radiator+studs with an old shroud - you'll have to get the new shroud and fan. However, that's good, while the radiators are exactly the same (save the studs) the new fan is lots, lots better. Here are my notes:

I replaced my radiator under warranty. (Poor solder on left tank.) The part number for the radiator that came out of my ’94 was 4709201, which the dealer said was first superceded to P/N 4855123. (P/N 4855123 has the same 6 threaded holes to mount the single fan, so it would indeed fit.) However, it isn’t available anymore, and had also been superceded. The new radiator, P/N 4855123AB, has 5 studs in the radiator frame rather than the welded-in nuts, and they also aren’t in the same location- so now you cannot use your old fan.

The original fan, P/N 4682529, was an offset single fan with a fairly thick motor. The motor almost reaches back to the front sway bar. With the studs on the new radiator, there is not enough room to get the old fan over the studs, even if they did line up, because of the sway bar. The fix is a new fan (also provided under warranty since the “correct” radiator isn’t available) with a slightly larger, center mounted fan, P/N 4854720AA. You’ll also need nuts P/N 34201358 to attach the fan to the radiator.

Be careful if you’ve replaced the bolts holding down the air cleaner housing to the radiator frame. There is no relief hole, so a longer bolt will make contact and raise the ducting.

And to top if off, the new fan electrical connection is three flat blades; the old fan was three round prongs (same color code wires, though) so rather than go back and find out what to do next, I placed the old plug on the new fan.

The new fan is better – cools it down much quicker, it’s a little louder, and you’ll know when it kicks on because the lights dim! It took me about 4 weeks total to find out about the radiator part numbers, another 2 weeks to get the fan. And only 2.5 hours to do the job.

You're in LI? I'm near Poughkeepsie. If you want to see any parts, let me know.