Radio Install??? help

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My pioneer radio in my 98 gts went out and have a new one to put in. How much of a hastle is it to put a radio in a gen 2? Does the dash come apart easily? Thinking of making it a sunday project if it isnt too tough :headbang:

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha, I'm going through this crap as I type. You won't get much help on here with this subject, few have attempted this aftermarket modification. I am about to get the adapters I need and then I have to use some afro engineering with the wires. It's not going to be hard, but a pain in the ass to see where each wire goes. It should take me about 1-2 hours when I get the wires I need. I'll post and let you know how hard it was.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do have a factory service manual if you need the wire diagram. I should have thought of that sooner. My big concern was actually the amp connection/conversion.
I was going to use a different amp and rewire completely to the speakers leaving the factory harness intact,,..........just in case in the year 2071 a rebuild title red/B&W viper is worth big $$$

OP
OP
W

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an aftermarket radio with a cd changer in the back. Wouldnt the wiring be the exact same on the two units?? Is the dash a pain to take apart??

OP
OP
W

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked him who he would use for his rt. Can't say that your name came up. I guess you talked me into it though Uncle Mitchie. Monday work for ya?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My pioneer radio in my 98 gts went out and have a new one to put in. How much of a hastle is it to put a radio in a gen 2? Does the dash come apart easily? Thinking of making it a sunday project if it isnt too tough :headbang:

Pioneer in your '98? As all stock decks were re-badged Alpine units, its possible the hard work has already been done - that of using the Alpine DIN amplifer cable.

Hardest part is converting your radio to use the amplifier DIN connector. I went to an Alpine dealer and bought one of their amplifier extension cables, cut it up and made it an adapter to RCA female jacks. Took an hour or two to fabricate on a workbench, then just plugged it in on my new deck to get it to use the factory Alpine amp (which resulted in *much* better sounds than the stock head unit). The factory radio has the pinout of the DIN socket on a label affixed to the radio. The only real issue is the size of those really tiny wires in the amplifier cable I cut up to attach the RCA jacks to.

Other than making this adapter, replacing the *factory* radio on a Gen II is relatively trivial, assuming the stock mounting "ears" on the factory unit can be attached to your replacement head unit (most do, but I'm sure some do not have the matching threaded screw holes). You don't even have to remove the dash, just snap off the trim bezel around the radio and A/C controls. I have a factory service manual, but I can't recall if I had to look up any of the wiring - the pinouts of the power connector may be needed (which one is switched power, always-on power, dash lights, the speed-pulse feed for the factory auto-volume feature, etc).

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put an aftermarket radio in mine a few wks ago, but I had a shop do it for $50. The guys said the install was easy, I have some pics in my gallery

The only hard part was finding a unit that fit the dash the best, I ended up shaping the dash just a BIT to make it fit perfectly. installed it from the front vs bringing it in from behind

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put an aftermarket radio in mine a few wks ago, but I had a shop do it for $50. The guys said the install was easy, I have some pics in my gallery

The only hard part was finding a unit that fit the dash the best, I ended up shaping the dash just a BIT to make it fit perfectly. installed it from the front vs bringing it in from behind

I am installing a Panasonic as well, however, it looks like you have an aftermarket amp which made it easier.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
update on my install-went to wash the viper this morning, SOMEHOW water got in around the amp and now it's not working. must be a leak somewhere by the back left tirewell area where the amp wires are.

gonna change out the amp tomorrow and probably mount it somewhere else

anyone else have this problem with an aftermarket amp install? I mounted it where the stock amp was, can't figure out how the car washing got into the wiring

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ask yer dad who's the best.......

at working on vipers :D :2tu:

YungKungFooey just doesn't realize how good he's got it with you nearby Mitch. I would charge him a small fortune if he needs anything in the future. Eventually he will learn.
Kids :rolleyes:

OP
OP
W

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ask yer dad who's the best.......

at working on vipers :D :2tu:

YungKungFooey just doesn't realize how good he's got it with you nearby Mitch. I would charge him a small fortune if he needs anything in the future. Eventually he will learn.
Kids :rolleyes:

Thats why Mitch has yet to respond. I'm driving radioless Mitch :shocked: are you listening :confused:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala