Ralph hints at Pirelli Trofeos for Viper?

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Jan 27, Ralph tweeted, "LOTS of of potential in our future... Our Tire partner Pirelli has a secret weapon of it's own.... "

And he posted this pic, which is a Pirelli PZero Trofeo. I've heard this is the tire to compete with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups.

Pirelli's website shows a 295/30-18. All they need to do is add a 355/30-19, and the Gen V has new shoes.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we've known these were coming. The problem is the pricing. OMG!!!
I'll take Sport Cups, thank you.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is the tire rating in terms of wear on the actual tires currently coming on the production car from the factory? 6k? 10k?

Reaction score
Unless you are tracking the car I would venture that most owners will cycle out the usefulness of the tires before they actually wear out. Softer compound tires heat cycle much faster then the regular tires and become hard and less grippy quicker. If you drive a lot though I would guess that 10K would be their limit of useful life also dependent on alignment specs.

what is the tire rating in terms of wear on the actual tires currently coming on the production car from the factory? 6k? 10k?

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we've known these were coming. The problem is the pricing. OMG!!!
I'll take Sport Cups, thank you.

That's the first I've heard of Trofeos in Viper sizes, did you hear this somewhere else too? I agree that I'd take Sport Cups, but they don't yet make them in 355s. Maybe the Sport Cup 345s would fit on the 13" wide wheels and would handle well despite being narrower, but we don't know that either. And I agree on pricing, ridiculous price for the PZero Corsas. They are literally twice the price of the Sport Cups, at least with Tire Rack's big discount on 345 Sport Cups.

We need options! At least give us a tire that can compete with Michelin on the track, or give us back our Michelins. I'm kinda pissed about the tire situation, to be honest.

As for the non-track Pirelli offering, the price for all four PZeros is about the same as four Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s (which is not nearly as good as the newer Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but probably on par with the PZeros). We need more options for street tires too.

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The current Gen 3/4 Vipers have 13.0 rear wheels. 345 tire fits just fine on them. The Gen 5 only gets wider front wheels, 10.5 vs 10.0 previously used.

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The current Gen 3/4 Vipers have 13.0 rear wheels. 345 tire fits just fine on them. The Gen 5 only gets wider front wheels, 10.5 vs 10.0 previously used.

That's good news. Tire Rack says the wheel width range for the MP Sport Cups is 11.5 to 12.5", but apparently people run them on 13" wide without adverse affects. Then I could see a set of Sport Cups in my future. At half the price of the Pirelli PZero Corsas.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm. Would be nice if they use this tire to redo the Laguna Seca test.

As was said though, I doubt they will use this tire for any Viper other than the upcoming ACR if previous Gen is any indication. It would be nice to have them available across the whole Viper line. Yes it would reduce the performance margin between the ACR and the other models but it would be cool to have the tire that would wring out the best performance from each model.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Who knows, maybe Pirelli and VCA can work together to get a Member price on a killer track Trofeo. A cut in price and stamped with a VCA logo and sold to Viper Club Owners. Might be a quick way to get folks to try them and .................

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like they have done some testing and seen the light...... Corsas are not going to get it done!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who knows, maybe Pirelli and VCA can work together to get a Member price on a killer track Trofeo. A cut in price and stamped with a VCA logo and sold to Viper Club Owners. Might be a quick way to get folks to try them and .................

Sounds good Bill. Another idea would be for Pirelli to donate a bunch of sets to VCA members to try out and post about it on the forums. Maybe some real-world experience in the hands of GenV owners may help folks overcome the price tag.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like competition between mfgs. Got us a Pirelli vs Michelin one going now. Can only be good for the customer. And then there's the Michelin tires on the GTS-Rs. The plot thickens or at least get more confusing.:)

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not for an ACR

They don't need an ACR to see that the Trofeo are faster. If they are to come on the ACR, they can easily be made an option on the SRT and GTS versions. Lack of grip problem solved!

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They don't need an ACR to see that the Trofeo are faster. If they are to come on the ACR, they can easily be made an option on the SRT and GTS versions. Lack of grip problem solved!

I said that the Corsa tires were never gonna be good enough for an ACR. Obviously if you put a better tire on any car your lack of grip problem is solved

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Corsa are not good enough for the SRT or GTS either when the ZR1 has sport cups. The ACR, if designed like the Gen IV will probably be fast enough to overcome the mediocre grip of the Corsas and still beat pretty much everything.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ZR1 is the top of the line performance Corvette with top of the line supporting equipment. (SC, Carbon Ceramics, PSC's to name a few) The Z06 doesn't even come factory with PSC's accoding to Tire Rack only the ZR1. The SRT and GTS are NOT the top of the line Viper. Now I do think a track pack car should come with the new Trefeo R tire when released. Will probably be a change for 2014 model though.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ZR1 is the top of the line performance Corvette with top of the line supporting equipment. (SC, Carbon Ceramics, PSC's to name a few) The Z06 doesn't even come factory with PSC's accoding to Tire Rack only the ZR1. The SRT and GTS are NOT the top of the line Viper. Now I do think a track pack car should come with the new Trefeo R tire when released. Will probably be a change for 2014 model though.

It does come factory if you buy a Z07, which is pretty much the same price as a base SRT. Let's not forget, both the Z07 and ZR1 have faster times at Laguna. Not beating the ZR1 is acceptable IMO. Not beating the Z07 is not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave