RAM SRT-10 engine rebuild

rukcus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a ram srt10 in my shop that needs an engine rebuild with 250k :omg: I didn't think this engine would last that long! no offence chrysler Ive built too many of your engines in the past! Pictures on the way!

Hopefully this works
https://plus.google.com/116325577394477821566/posts

7 Spun connecting rods
1 mashed piston
1 Crankshaft throw worn 0.045+ the rest can be ground to 0.010
and a partridge in a pear tree!

Everything else held up really well pistons look good the block was clean, bore was clean, he kept up with his oil changes.

I am going to end up getting another crankshaft ground 20/20

Last edited:

challengerta

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hope to hear and see what you find inside, normal wear?
Parts failure,etc. remaining life of any parts?
Keep us posted!

OP
OP
R

rukcus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I finished rebuilding the engine and I updated the link with the new pictures. In the end I had a spare burned engine so I used the crank, rods and timing cover. His oil pump gears were toasted and it scored the housing. It engine should be installed on Monday. While the crank & bearings are scarce this engine is very simple to build 2/10 difficultly. The only expensive parts ended up being the crank and majority of the the gaskets are dealer only. Lets keep in mind this is being installed in the truck body so in the viper is another story. I will update with it installed.

Last edited:

challengerta

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great pictures.
Did the driver report low oil pressure, for how long?
Was the engine noisy?
In your opinion, what caused the damage?

OP
OP
R

rukcus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This particular customer took it upon himself to install a set of rod bearings when it was knocking in hopes of fixing it himself... This just make things even worse as that is not an acceptable solution and he continued to drive it. His oil pump gears were worn really bad and the oil pump housing (timing cover) was scored out. So it was a lack of oil pressure. When he brought it to me the engine knocked at first startup but when oil pressure built up it went away. These engines are always noisy but for different reasons. We have to keep in mind he had around 250,000km on the truck so it had oil leaks which did not help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4