RB1 - iPod Integration

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a new owner and thrilled to finally own one... it's a 2004 black Mamba!!!

I know this has been discussed before, but I need some advise on replacing the stock radio with an RB1 and the iPod integration kit. There are a lot of different RB1 models out there (and HUGE price differences), and while they all fit mechanically, there seem to be differences

a) with connecting to the car's power amp (the earlier RB1 models don't seem to be able to work with it, I've read somewhere)
b) with the iPod integration kit itself. I'm told that only the two latest RB1s xxxxAH and xxxxAI work.

Maybe this is just a software issue and a new NAV DVD will make an "old" RB1 work.

Can someone confirm??? What is your RB1's exact model number (if you have the iPod kit working)??? What version NAV DVD do you use???

Thanks!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan is best to answer this.

But I think a and b are both wrong.

a. I only know of one RB1, although its been made for a number of years. I think you might mean like RBQ's or other RB1 type head units that have 6 disk players in them. But RB1 with sing disk is the only one that works in the vipers. But again, long run period. (not just the last two working junk).

b.I did the ipod integration and my Rb1 was from 2005, so im sure there are newer versions out there since that one, and it still worked like a charm.

Now Nav DVDs .. you always want the newest version of that, not for the ipod per say, but for the updated maps and directions. I have used 2 different versions, and one knows some streets where as the other one did not.

Hope that helps!

Jon

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a lot of different RB1 models out there (and HUGE price differences), and while they all fit mechanically, there seem to be differences
this is not correct, to the best of my knowledge. There are different part numbers, but the part # revisions generally coincided with model year firmware changes. And as I recall, your firmware is updated when you first insert a new revision nav DVD anyway. There is only one RB1, and it should work in any Chrysler vehicle it physically mounts in with the exception of the old Sebring Coupe and Stratus Coupe. I think you may be confusing things with the RB3 and RB4, which are turn-by-turn (no map) navi radios which use CD nav discs. The RB4 is generally cheaper than the RB1; the RB3 is the same as the RB4 but for Europe.

a) with connecting to the car's power amp (the earlier RB1 models don't seem to be able to work with it, I've read somewhere)
this isn't correct either; the Viper's amplifier is a dumb amp. it doesn't sit on the bus or do any signal processing, so it should work with any radio you put in there.

b) with the iPod integration kit itself. I'm told that only the two latest RB1s xxxxAH and xxxxAI work.
-AH and -AI are just a minor revision level. Probably just a software change which would be updated with a new disc. For any major upgrades or changes, it would get an entirely new base part # and the rev level would start over at -AA. **you know what, I might be able to check with somebody on this one- hang on a bit.**

OP
OP
F

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks... The iPod kit's doc says it's only compatible with AI or AH... I'm tempted to buy a cheap(er) AB... if someone would be able to confirm that this will still work with the iPod kit...

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RB-1 units are all the same except for possibly an updated Nav DVD.. You have to use the Mopar ipod intergration cable with it...

see link
https://www.viperspecialtyperforman...id=36&osCsid=1f68b5971b61c68d0ec68f0f7f9890ab

Nader ( his Viper Forum personna) was a great help to me. He also has an 04 Black Mamba..
Since my 04 Mamba is white there might be some diffrences ( Joking)
I have installed both the Rb-1 and the above mentioned cable.

Where are you with this install ???:drive:

OP
OP
F

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not ordered the unit yet. Some sites have the RB1 package (part #82206406AB) for $550, but there is also the "newer" RB1 version for up to $1500.

I am trying to find out if there is a *hardware* difference between them or if it's just software. A newer navigation DVD is much cheaper than the price difference above...

And just for the record, black mambas are faster than white ones...

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have not ordered the unit yet. Some sites have the RB1 package (part #82206406AB) for $550, but there is also the "newer" RB1 version for up to $1500.

I am trying to find out if there is a *hardware* difference between them or if it's just software. A newer navigation DVD is much cheaper than the price difference above...

And just for the record,black mambas are faster than white ones...

If you look at most sites, they show PT cruisers, Durangos, Jeeps etc for the $ 600 price. The Viper then is $1300. I was told it was different wiring connectors. There are probably 10 different RB1 part #'s Ive seen listed.
Search for user CuHead. He did a write up install of how he changed connectors and was able to make the Cheaper priced RB1 unit work in the Viper along with Sirius and Ipod and display song names on display. Im waiting to see if theres a 08 option for Nav in Viper and then Ill buy that unit.

OP
OP
F

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! The writeup seems to be lost - there's only one entry for the thread with a cryptic number... I have contacted CuHead directly.

As for the '08, there is a Nav option, but I suspect that it will be around $1500.

Fast Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the RB1 unit in my viper, with the ipod integration, it's literally plug and play, i've had it since march or april now? I have a new place in AZ, and all of those new streets are located on my nav cd, so this version is very recent, it's at least a 2005-2006 version. Very good unit, very happy with it.

Identical to this
Autoblog

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang