RB1 vs. RB4 nav systems

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to put a nav radio in my new truck. Lots of folks have put the RB1 in, but I havent heard much about the RB4. They are within $200 of each other in list price (give or take).

Ebay prices for takeouts or used ones vary widely though with the RB1's getting twice the money of an RB4.

Is there that much difference in features beween the two? I've read the Dodge catalog descriptions of each one, the RB4 will allow you to download a destination into the unit and then remove the map disc to play CD's.
The RB1 doesn't allow that an near as can figure out.

What other differences are there?

Thanks

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RB1 does full map display, RB4 does not (it's "turn-by-turn.")
RB1 is one DVD-ROM for navi, RB4 is multiple CD-ROMs.
RB1 can't run navi without the disc, RB4 can to some extent.
RB1 is made by Alpine, RB4 is made by Harman-Becker.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1050 is a good price for a new unit as for cost is about 1200. I just bought an RB4 off ebay for 500 or so. Came out of 2005 PT Cruiser. If you do buy on ebay, find one from the newest car possible

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plug and play. i just installed mine and a sirius unit from dodge. every component is hidden behind the dash and looks great. i upgraded my speakers at the same time and it now sounds great.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Get an RB1 , as the screen on the RB4 is tiny and for all practical purposes it is old technology.

The difference in appearance, convenience, etc. is definitely worth the bucks!!

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sorry, I got my RB1 off ebay for 500 bucks or so, not the rb1. yes the rb1 is old technology, spend the extra bucks for the rb1

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sorry, I got my RB1 off ebay for 500 bucks or so, not the rb1. yes the rb1 is old technology, spend the extra bucks for the rb1

:confused:

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TAke it easy with me, I am sick today. I meant I got the RB1 and not the RB4. You new what I meant anyways. And to think I have not had a cocktail in days. I guess that means only one thing, I should only post while drunk!
Boat Drinks

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gps antenna goes right on top of the radio. If you add sirius from dodge you can slip the box on top of the tubes for the center ac vents and mount the sirius antenna just to the left of that, there is a space behind the gauges that works well. If you do get sirius, get the newest kit avail with the smallest antenna. I accidentially ordered a sirius kit for an 01 car and the antenna was bigger than my head.
And yes, you must remove the nav disc to listen to a cd. I am currently searching for a good control for my ipod because I threw out my cds with my 8 tracks.

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can, however, play CDs with an attached changer while using the navigation (on the RB1.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant