Re-use of gastank. Possible?

Mattias

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi
I build an AC-Cobra replica out of a Viper SRT-10. My plan is to use the original gas tank but get rid of the vacuum canister. Is it possible? If yes, how do I connect it the proper way? I have tested to connect fuel pump outlet to inlet of my fuel rail. I have connected a fuel pressure regulator at the end of the rail. The return line from the regulator goes to the connector on top of the viper fuel tank. The original ventilation connector close to the filler hose is connected to the ventilation connector on the filler pipe (as the original SRT-10).
It seems to work but the filling process takes time and when running the fuel pump it seems like it bubbles in the tank, as in a jacuzzi.
I’m thinking if I must have a check valve connected or something...
Anyone who can tell how to do or where to find a sketch that shows in detail what the tank looks/works like..

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The stock fuel pump has the regulator in the tank and no liquid return line, so I'm wondering if that might be your issue. Sounds like you might be returning fuel into the charcoal canister vent, which could also possibly explain the bubbling.

OP
OP
M

Mattias

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Mopar map.
Yes, im thinking the same. This would then mean that i can skip my pressure regulator since the original pump has one. Does the charcoal canister vent go into the tank or is there a “balloon” and the vent is outside the balloon..? Also, what is the fuel pressure on the original pump before the regulator kicks in, if I’m correct it should be 55psi..?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I believe the canister vents straight to the tank, though likely through a rollover valve to prevent liquid coming through it in case of an accident.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

As for the pressure, you are correct that it is set at 55 psi.