Ready to buy a GTS

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the bassboat sold over the weekend and am now turning up the hunt for a car. I made a post a while back in the new owners section when I went to look at a Gen I car. It is here for your reading pleasure:

http://forums.viperclub.org/new-owner-questions/641794-starting-hunt-right-viper.html

After reading and rereading from what I can tell is pretty much every good post on this forum that comes up searching, everything on the Alley (which isn't a lot, those guys seem to whine a lot), Maurice's book, and a few other sites...I am much more well read into these cars. I've sat in and stared at a bunch, ridden in a couple recently and have met a couple owners recently. I know a lot more about what I am looking for in a car and what to look for when buying one. I do plan on getting whatever car I go with inspected by someone that knows the cars in and out. I've kept track of prices for almost six months now, and know what sells and what sits. I'm going to attempt to stay very objective about the car and not get ahead of myself.

I have narrowed my field down to a GTS. It was much wider before, when I didn't know much about the cars, but I now think the GTS is what I want. Love the looks of the RT/10 too, but the GTS seems more practical for me for various reasons. I have adjusted my acceptable purchase price range to $35k for the right car. This car will not be driven daily, but I will certainly plan on putting miles on it. For that reason, ultra low mileage isn't really a concern for me and with my price range isn't really an option regardless. I am in Fort Worth TX and would like to drive whatever car I buy home, so although not a showstopper I would like to keep it within 1k miles from me...fly out drive back kind of thing.

My favorite cars are the following:

98 Silver GTS
99 Silver GTS
00 Steel Gray GTS
01 Sapphire GTS
02 Graphite GTS

Of course these are generally the lesser available colors...but it is what it is. My only not an option color is black, red may work if I find the right buy. I would probably stripe a red in silver if I end up with one. Simple bolt on mods don't bother me but would prefer a fairly stock interior.

I am putting my feelers out there for any clean cars that may fit my desires. I am not going salvage route, and don't want a car thats been wrecked or tracked a lot. I keep a very close eye on the normal sites (ebay, autotrader, cars.com, national craigslist searchers, classifieds here and on the alley). Am I missing any good ones? Anyone know of any buys I should look at? I've found a few over the past few months that sounded like good candidates so I know they're out there.

And last but certainly not least, special thanks to Indiana's Steve Fess for all the help he has given me so far!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats on the sale of your boat (2nd best day of boat ownership to many :D )

good luck with your hunt

:drive:

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP, not sure you are going to find a 2001 / 2002 for $35k in the colors you quoted...as they are somewhat rare and desirable.

There was someone that had a 98 Silver GTS for $32k in the classifieds...

Good luck in the hunt and enjoy it!

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a local blue/white for sale but I believe it's a 97 for mid 30's with low miles.

OP
OP
B

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP, not sure you are going to find a 2001 / 2002 for $35k in the colors you quoted...as they are somewhat rare and desirable

There's a red 01 listed for $35,500 locally that I know of. I think the guy might work where I do, as I've only seen that one red GTS around here. But ya, I probably won't find those newer ones in the color and condition I want for the price I want.

OP
OP
B

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was someone that had a 98 Silver GTS for $32k in the classifieds...

There was one in Kentucky that just sold for $33k, I was planning on getting it inspected but the same week it was sold.

The one youre talking about I think sold for $30k recently, and had more mods than I desired...but otherwise was a beautiful car.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a guy that has a Matte Black GTS..... I would, he would probably take 30K for the car. Bought it in LA, and drove here to MI. Not a doubt it would make it to Mexico and back if you wanted. Not many mods, have some HRE's that could go with it. If your picky on color you'll love or Hate this car.

Message me if you want pics, or if interested. Car has 53K, and I am putting new stabilizer links on it all the way around.

-Tim:drive:

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I know of a silver 99 gts coming up for sale if your interested. Very well looked after.

Viprrrrr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All mods to the car were performed as upgrades, no mechanical issues with the car ever; 49K miles. The original parts are included as part of the sale if the buyer wants to return the car to stock. I do know the car & owner very well.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sold my Bass Boat to make room for mine...

I catch just as many fish in my buddy's boat and this just looks so much better by the boat launch...:D

You must be registered for see images

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one youre talking about I think sold for $30k recently, and had more mods than I desired...but otherwise was a beautiful car.
That was my car Ba$$fan. I am still happy with the sale, but my suggestion to you if you are looking for a silver GTS is to get a 1999 rather than a 1998 so that you get the newer interior door handles (the old-style bezels are cheesy and a PITA if you have to remove the door and replace them) and interior hatch release (plus the 18" OEM wheels if you get a stock car).

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Have a solid silver '98 GTS in Oregon you could probably talk me out of for 31k. Email me at [email protected] if you're interested. Good luck on your hunt. This is a good time of year to be buying a sports car!

OP
OP
B

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search is over. Details to come soon...

Initial thanks to everyone who has given me help and support, JonB @ partsrack, Chuck @ Tators garage, Ken Klickmen of Timberline Dodge, and the ever intelligent Steve Fess.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search is over. Details to come soon...

Initial thanks to everyone who has given me help and support, JonB @ partsrack, Chuck @ Tators garage, Ken Klickmen of Timberline Dodge, and the ever intelligent Steve Fess.

i dont know who ken is but the other 3 are solid, very knowledgeable guys id trust in a search for a viper. good to hear ya found something

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I might be willing to sell one of my GTS cars. Got a 00 steel grey GTS mint condition, tires are original so they would need to be replaced. Front end has no road rash or scrapes of any kind. Offer must be reasonable. The car is kept covered in an a/c garage. If verification is needed about the car PM Rev Heat he can verify the condition of the car. It looks showroom new. If you want a ****** car, this car is not for you? Got it from Willie 'Paco' Pemberton new in 2000.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960