rear end clunk

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have the known rear end clank going over bumps that from what I read is a loose shock bolt or from the sway bar. So, I have never been a mechanical person on my cars but have done major work on my bikes in the past so I know if wont be a problem and I want to check this instead of taking it many hours to a dealer.

Simple question here, does the viper have jack puck holes for a jack location like the vettes? I'm looking to jack the
backend end and pull the tires and check it out. Reading through the electronic manual was no help and just about as good as a google search. I guess most know how to do it. lol

Thanks Ya'll

-David

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are small pieces of upside down "L" angle steel just in front of the rear tires. That is the jack point. You wont be able to tell a loose shock with the back end up off the ground and the shock assy pushing down on the a-arm. Look at your manual as it will tell how to check the torque of the shock bolt. It is very important the suspension be loaded at normal ride height to tighten the shock bolt. All of that procedure is in your manual.

The sway bar end links are the usual cause of a clunky sway bar.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new cars are clunking too?

I thought that would have been addressed with the 'refinement'.

If it's the same deal as the older cars, no big deal.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also noticed the 'cluck' lately, but would rather take it to the dealer instead.

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The manual is a nightmare to navigate. I looked for 30 minutes trying to find it.
Mine has 900 miles on it and it has made the clunk since new.
I'd take it to a dealer if one was close. It's a 3 hour round trip and from what I have read they like to keep them.
I would make the trip if they'd just look at it and me wait. I might just call and ask that.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't leave the car with the dealer for joy ride testing. :omg:

They will repeatedly test for the noise during burnouts in the parking lot. :drive:

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
went to the dealer. They upgraded the care and radio firmware to fix the TPMS service error and tightened to spec the shock bolts and sway bar ends.
I drove 120 miles back home and the light is still on and the clanking noise is a little better.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tpms moduals are prone to go bad if you still have a light on

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what was causing the noise on the old cars? never had noise in my Gen III or Gen IV but have it in my Gen V!
The new cars are clunking too?

I thought that would have been addressed with the 'refinement'.

If it's the same deal as the older cars, no big deal.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the G2:1. Insufficient torque on outboard bearing.2. Bad upper diff bushings.3. Bad universals.4. Slop on ring/pinion.5. Twisted half-shaft binding.
what was causing the noise on the old cars? never had noise in my Gen III or Gen IV but have it in my Gen V!

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still have the clank. I thnk its worse now. They wanna keep the car a few days. I think it's time to jack it up and inspect it myself.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will have to pull the rear belly plate to see anything.

I still have the clank. I thnk its worse now. They wanna keep the car a few days. I think it's time to jack it up and inspect it myself.

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yea, the noise is coming from the rear. It was the left side but now seems to be more in the middle.

I had the same type noise on my Gen 4, the dealer used 'electronic ears' to find the problem. (lower shock bushing + a new shock) My car had 1500 mi on it.

I tighten/ torqued every bolt on the back half of the car. 90% of the bolts can be accessed without removing the aluminum belly pan.

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Westxsrt10,
I didn't need to hear that. :drive:

I am really having a hard time understanding why this issue is ongoing with a lot of people on many Gens. I thought the shocks are different on these vs other Gens.