rear end noise with sharp turns?

gofastr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I take sharp turns in My 08 coupe I'm hearing a clicking noise. Sounds like the rear clutches. Anybody had this problem? Solution?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I take sharp turns in My 08 coupe I'm hearing a clicking noise. Sounds like the rear clutches. Anybody had this problem? Solution?

Are you sure it's the rear end and not the power steering? My '08 makes a noise on sharp slow right turns and it's the power steering.

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can hear clicking from the rear end, it almost always means that you need to add a bottle of friction modifier (also called slip lock additive). Once you add the friction modifier, go to an open parking lot and do a couple of figure eights. This will cure the sticking clutch packs.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, add some friction modifier and you'll be good too go!

How about that, a quick and cheap fix for you!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any recent changes ?

if not, change the rear end fluid and make sure to add the modifier

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear end clicking audibly from outside the car when turning? I would also check the torque on the Hub Nut. Not sure what it is supposed to be, I looked it up through search one time and found it but don't remember it.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noticed my '09 making noise when I make a 180 deg. turn at full lock. Sounded more like a groan that got progressively louder and ended with a soft clunk. Had 18" slicks on at the time. Put my stock tires on and it stopped. Weird.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Some good points have been raised above.

I would suggest caution regarding simply "adding" the friction modifier to the present fluid, however.

As plumcrazy said, if you decide to do anything with the differential fluid (which I would consider as well), DRAIN the present fluid first, then replace it with the correct fluid(s) including 4 oz of the friction modifier.

As opposed to the differentials of past Vipers to which many folks ADDED an EXTRA 4 oz bottle of friction modifier, a reliable Viper Tech told me that using more than 4 oz of the friction modifier in a Gen IV diff can POSSIBLY create problems. I have NO EXPERIENCE with this potential issue...just passing along a note of caution. It will be interesting to watch this issue over time.

wirepaladin08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '08 coupe makes a noise from the back of the car on sharp right hand turns at low speed. It sounds more like something is rubbing than anything else; its certainly not a clicking sound. Car only has 5K miles.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, no-one else has said it,

If your rear is making noise when you turn, maybe you should modify your diet. Possibly not enough fiber.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 08 does the same thing on sharp left hand turns, like a U-turn. I talked to Viper tech at Tomball Dodge and he said it was normal and was the sound of the clutches. He did say changing the diff fluid my get rid of it so it is on my "to do" list on my next visit.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe its a baseball card stuck in between the cv and inner wheel spoke-have seen it before in the same fashion but on a bike

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '06 does the same thing -- most obvious when backing out of the driveway. I did swap out the diff fluid and replaced with exact recommended Mopar fluid and additive. It made no difference. I think it may have to do with the diff and fluid not yet warmed up so it's noisy when everything is cold.

OP
OP
gofastr

gofastr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got back from the Dodge dealer. Changed the diff fluid and put in the 4 oz. additive. Noise is gone. :D

OP
OP
gofastr

gofastr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...anyone else find that a little concerning that diff fluid would need to be replaced at such a short interval?

Does your car see a lot of track time?
Zero track time. The fluid was a little dirty but not real bad. No metal or particles in the old fluid. I had the same exact issue on a very low mile 07 Z06. Changed the fluid and problem solved.:dunno:

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still get an occasional pop/ rubbing sound when making sharp turns but only on occasion, most often has been when backing out of driveway and when turning wheel to right. May try the fluid change next time Tom is in town.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad yours was resolved but for others experiencing a cracking or undefinable noise try tightening all the bolts on the torque plate (plate that covers the driveline). I traced my noise for months, changing fluids and greasing everything to no avail. Finally tightened all the bolts and the creaking/ cracking noise went away. I always have the strange ones but hey it worked. FYI

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3700 miles and you need to change diff fluid. That's crazy!!!

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I took my '08 and mentioned the noise and clunking. They said, "yeah, something in there is definitely broken," so they replaced the whole diff. I picked it up yesterday and........exactly the same noise and clunking. :(

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I took my '08 and mentioned the noise and clunking. They said, "yeah, something in there is definitely broken," so they replaced the whole diff. I picked it up yesterday and........exactly the same noise and clunking. :(

Well, I guess you answered my question then. ;)

2BADD-4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad yours was resolved but for others experiencing a cracking or undefinable noise try tightening all the bolts on the torque plate (plate that covers the driveline). I traced my noise for months, changing fluids and greasing everything to no avail. Finally tightened all the bolts and the creaking/ cracking noise went away. I always have the strange ones but hey it worked. FYI

Hey, great! Simple fix and awesome tip!

Dave

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Got a pic. of that plate?