Rear end whine still there after new diff? could it be..

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the transmission?

I had a differential whine, or so I thought. Fairly obnoxious, easy to hear it over a loud exhaust. Finally had the differential replaced.

First time back out on the road it still whines, has anyone had the problem and found the whine to be a transmission??

That's about all it could be at this point, right? 2000 gts with 10,000 miles.

Trans fluid just changed. Not raced, not beat on, any ideas?

thanks

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Get the modifier in the rear axle? Got fluid in it?

Rear axle hub(s) might be whining? Drive past a fence, and listen to the reflected noise, both sides of the car. Is it louder on one side of the car than the other?

OP
OP
K

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Axle was replaced, filled with additive and oil.

The sound remained unchanged, a nice axle type whine.

I like the idea of trying to hear one side from the other, just have to find a fence, open area, high speed road and an electronic listening device.

Seriously though, good thought, just don't know how to hear a high speed axle type whine while driving a Viper?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it whine when you're on the gas, or off the gas? Both?

Does it happen at a slow enough speed you could securely support the rear up in the air with the back tires off the car, and try to hear it with the car running in gear?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
the transmission?

I had a differential whine, or so I thought. Fairly obnoxious, easy to hear it over a loud exhaust. Finally had the differential replaced.

First time back out on the road it still whines, has anyone had the problem and found the whine to be a transmission??

That's about all it could be at this point, right? 2000 gts with 10,000 miles.

Trans fluid just changed. Not raced, not beat on, any ideas?

thanks
just have to find a ... high speed road...................

..............how to hear a high speed axle type whine............

Oh, I didn't see anything about "high speed" in your initial post. Well, if it only happens at high speed, guess you can't reflect the sound off a fence. You did mention it was fairly obnoxious, easy to hear over the exhaust noise, so I thought you could hear the sound reflected off a fence. There are many possibilities, but it might actually still be the diff, if you got a second bad one.

I've got plenty of open spaces, and fences, come on over, I'll help you find the noise!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4