Rear Oxygen sensor wire splicing (HELP)

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this? I have to add wire to my rear oxygen sensors because they are too short because of a rear to sidepipe conversion, and I am wondering about having problems.
if anyone knows anything, and can reply as soon as possible, please let me know, this is all I have to do , car is on a lift as we speak.
new extended wires/sensors are $200.00 - $400.00 each.

thanks

FLX109

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've extended those wires before & had no problems. My rule of thumb is any wiring connections on the outside of the car that are exposed to the elements get soldered & shrink wrapped. Wiring inside the vehicle I use connectors. Solder the connections & make sure the same gauge wire is used & you shoulkd have no problems.

Bo

Ted B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you use high quality, low resistance wires or the sensors will give a false reading. For the rears it won't matter so much because i believe they're only used during emissions testing.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the car can function properly without it on a 96, but won't it still throw a CEL? No problem driving around with it on, but when the time comes to smog, most states won't pass you with a CEL on. In that case re-routing to the new pipe location makes sense.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
96 and 97 should NOT trip check engine light with rear 02 sensors offline...but, I'm NOT trying to talk you into or out of anything.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are a 0-2 volt sensor, nothing special. There is little to no current, therefore, no voltage drop. Just make sure the connection does not increase the resistance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96