Rear Window Shattered...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard of that happening before. I drove with my window in for the first 6 months or so. Since then I always remove it. It's no trouble to do so and it's strange how much more of an open feeling you get. Now, I never have the window in when the top is off.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Jim said...

Someone was shooting at ya' I've seen it happen before. Just some peoples idea of a fun time. Shoot out windows in cars. High Powered BB Gun, .22, etc. I've NEVER heard of a rear window shattering..

Be glad your oK!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have been over 100mph with the top off and rear window in
and no problem
i sounds odd to have the glass come in...
where were you at the time?
the highway? main road?
any grass knolls around?

i think someone took a pop shot at ya...

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JTV- Sorry to hear about the shooting! Man that is not good (*****).

If you still need help tracking down replacement glass.

Call Fitzgerald Dodge in Laconia, NH - 603 524-2311 Ask for service, ask for Mark.

They are the 2nd largest Viper dealer in the world. They will know what you are talking about.

"They work on Vipers as much as a Dodge Dealer works on Neons"

I am sure they can ship it to your door, need be.

Good luck.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds odd. I would look around for a slug, pellet etc in the cockpit. Even the strongest .177 air rifle rarely exceeds 700 FPS, and with a lightweight pellet the kinetic energy would be unlikely to break the glass from over 50 feet. A .22 caliber pellet would likely have to low FPS to do it either. A firearm round, even a .22 would have entered the cockpit and struck the front glass, seat, etc, so other evidence should be present. Shrapnel would be a good indicator. Very odd. I would look for glass failure first.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not saying you weren't shot at but that would seem a little rare compared to what I think is a more likely explanation. The reason the glass breaks inwards, at least at higher speeds (70 mph is certainly high enough) is because with wind blowing over the car you create a pretty serious suction in the car. In fact, I forgot to snap the window in once and it popped out while driving fast. It didn't fly out the back though, it pushed towards the inside. It didn't break but if it had it would have come in. That's because with the top off things are getting "sucked" out of the car, and if the glass broke it would **** into the car and out the top, not blow out the back.

So my two cents, for what it's worth, is you may have had a small stone clear the windshield but hit the back window. When the window broke, the glass got sucked into the car. There may still have been another cause for the glass breaking...weak point in glass, hit a bump and the "roll bar" top put pressure on it, etc. But regardless, the glass would likely come into the car, not out the back.

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok...listen up. i've got more miles on my 2000 RT/10 than some people have on their 94's...33,000+. i've been to different states, and at all hours of the day. i am not a paranoid person but i do know that each and every year there are more and more people out there turning into nuts over night, it seems. blame it on the increase of drug usage, blame it on the economy and both parents having to work to make ends meet, therfore not monitoring their children like our folks did years ago, there are tons of reasons why more and more people are drinking now days....you can figure out why if you want. but....owning something as rare and and as expensive as a viper is unique and to some people cool, but to others it's a slap in their face. i came home one night and barely noticed that someone had shot a paintball at the rear bumper....but they were kind enough to use a red that matched. it came off easy and nobody was hurt, but who knows what that idiot might wanna do for kicks the next time. it doesn't make me wanna drive any less, by no means, but i am a little more aware of my surroundings, especially at late hours and when there are only 1 or 2 cars around, especially on long stretches of highway. theres's a fella from this area who i've raced twice, a real nice guy with a beautiful tt supra. i just found out last week that some kids took some baseball bats to him and his car. rumor has it that he beat someone in a race and they didn't take it too kindly. so...there's a lesson to learn here. enjoy the hell outa your car...but....just be a teeny tiny bit more aware of certain situations. peace.

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that this really relates all that much but...

In Massachusetts we've been having some people shooting at cars that go by on the Highway. At first one-person came forward, then about 20 others.

Also, when I used to live in Maine, the back of my Jeep was shot-out during a storm. I came out the next morning an the glass was spider-webbed with cracks. I would've believed that it was simply the extreme cold that night, then I realize that there was a tiny hole where the cracks raiate from. I took a few pictures, climbe into the back, and found the little projectile that broke it, brought it to the Police, an a few days later they found out who did it.