Rebuild?..again?..help!!!

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake;

Look at it this way! The situation is going to cost you "out of pocket" money either way. If you pull it and send it back to Arrow, at least you have a glimmer of a chance that they discover the problem is in fact theirs and it is their mistake. At that point, it is reasonable to expect that they will pick up the tab for the repairs (as a professional organization should), but more than likely not the shipping, from my past experiences with similar engine builders. You are discounting that when you get the motor back, the problem will in fact, be fixed.

One way is abandoning all hope, while the other keeps hope alive and allows for a fighting chance. I hear what you are saying and have been there before with other builders, but the reality is parts fail, it happens everyday. It could be a ring issue or a piston issue or whatever, parts fail.

If it were me, I would just contact Arrow, provide everything you can as to what happened, follow the procedure for sending it back and carrying it through. I mean they could say it is not warrantied then turn around and agree to go 50-50 on the rebuild costs to keep their name in good standing. You don't know. All you know for sure is you have a problem, and it will cost you all the money to fix if you go it alone outside of Arrow. I think I would still go to the source for problem resolution, but that is just me.

In the end, you just have to make the best of the situation for what it is and get through it. The blame game, NEVER works for anyone but the lawyers and it does not fix the problem. Hope that helps! Believe me, I know it is hard to swallow pride, bite the tongue and suffer through it, I am a type A personality so it was hard for me in the past too. The process quickly tells you who to work with and who to not in a real hurry for future projects. Good luck and hope it works out!

Last edited:
OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, have you called Arrow yet?

I communicated with Todd at Arrow this past Thursday. Told me 2-3 week turnaround.

Treesnake;

Look at it this way! The situation is going to cost you "out of pocket" money either way. If you pull it and send it back to Arrow, at least you have a glimmer of a chance that they discover the problem is in fact theirs and it is their mistake. At that point, it is reasonable to expect that they will pick up the tab for the repairs (as a professional organization should), but more than likely not the shipping, from my past experiences with similar engine builders. You are discounting that when you get the motor back, the problem will in fact, be fixed.

One way is abandoning all hope, while the other keeps hope alive and allows for a fighting chance. I hear what you are saying and have been there before with other builders, but the reality is parts fail, it happens everyday. It could be a ring issue or a piston issue or whatever, parts fail.

If it were me, I would just contact Arrow, provide everything you can as to what happened, follow the procedure for sending it back and carrying it through. I mean they could say it is not warrantied then turn around and agree to go 50-50 on the rebuild costs to keep their name in good standing. You don't know. All you know for sure is you have a problem, and it will cost you all the money to fix if you go it alone outside of Arrow. I think I would still go to the source for problem resolution, but that is just me.

In the end, you just have to make the best of the situation for what it is and get through it. The blame game, NEVER works for anyone but the lawyers and it does not fix the problem. Hope that helps! Believe me, I know it is hard to swallow pride, bite the tongue and suffer through it, I am a type A personality so it was hard for me in the past too. The process quickly tells you who to work with and who to not in a real hurry for future projects. Good luck and hope it works out!

Thank You, You have pretty well summed up my thoughts exactly....:2tu:

I think Arrow is my best bet.

The engine will get there next week. I will find out then.....:dunno:

2-3 week turnaround is good news....

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you done a leak down yet? As it was mentioned by a few others the first thing you should do is a leak down test. That way you have a baseline before you ship it off to anyone.

My money is on the rings as well. PM me if you like the name of my engine builder. He's worked on Viper engines since the beginning and is very knowledgeable.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading threads like this remind me of why I love underground racing.

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you done a leak down yet? As it was mentioned by a few others the first thing you should do is a leak down test. That way you have a baseline before you ship it off to anyone.

My money is on the rings as well. PM me if you like the name of my engine builder. He's worked on Viper engines since the beginning and is very knowledgeable.

Yes, A.R.T. did a leakdown test. Had a 27% loss in worst cylinder.....:(

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
With issues like this, its best to not to lose faith and see the repair through in a positive manner. The goal is to fix the car. Once you have all the information, then you should talk to the folks involved. A teardown will show you what happened.

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading threads like this remind me of why I love underground racing.

If it were only that easy. Long story...:(

With issues like this, its best to not to lose faith and see the repair through in a positive manner. The goal is to fix the car. Once you have all the information, then you should talk to the folks involved. A teardown will show you what happened.

I agree. Im tryin' to do that now...:dunno:

Engine is at Arrow.

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont mean to bring this back up but any new news?

Kinda....:dunno:

I am waiting to get my engine back from Arrow right now. Don't know what went wrong. They just let me know that they would rebuild the "new" engine for around $5K.
I have no choice...

I was told the turnaround would be "two weeks" on Feb 12...

No engine yet...:rolleyes:

The new 3.6 Kenne Bell blower won't work either. It seems that KB doesn't, and have no interntions, to make a drive snout long enough to work on a viper... That info came from Sean...:dunno:

I got my new 2.8 on Monday. It is getting painted now.
While I wait for the engine.

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoa, they are going to charge you 5k but won't say what is wrong?

Yep........... :dunno:

That seems a bit ridiculous. If you sent your motor there for a "diagnosis", they should tell you what is wrong with it and what caused it.

Glossing over the failure and the cause, and jumping straight to charging you does not sound right to me at all.

It almost sounds as if they don't want you to know what went wrong because they'd be on the hook for it.

Sorry to hear that, Mike.

I'm with 1FAST400 on this one. I'm glad I get everything taken care of at Underground Racing.

Are you going to bring the Serpent to the Lake next month?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've seen video of mechanics/tuners using cameras to look inside the sparkplug hole for diagnosing engine problems. If you would have had acess to one it could have shown scores in cylinder walls and allowed piston dome inspection with any disassembly. Also could have been used to record images to a computer (for documentation).

Funny that there isn't more of them used for diagnostics.
Ted

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That seems a bit ridiculous. If you sent your motor there for a "diagnosis", they should tell you what is wrong with it and what caused it.

Glossing over the failure and the cause, and jumping straight to charging you does not sound right to me at all.

It almost sounds as if they don't want you to know what went wrong because they'd be on the hook for it.

Sorry to hear that, Mike.

I'm with 1FAST400 on this one. I'm glad I get everything taken care of at Underground Racing.

Are you going to bring the Serpent to the Lake next month?

I couldn't agree more....

What can I do?... :dunno:

Mark, you and I have talked about this mess for a couple years now.

If I could, or if I would have known then what I know now, I WOULD have done this different.

I am trying to pick up the pieces and get this car going again.

No, I won't be taking the SS to The Lake. The front splitter and fascia don't do to well on the lake roads.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant