Redline ATF in 96' RT/10 OK or NOT OK - That is the question

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Redline ATF in 96\' RT/10 OK or NOT OK - That is the question

Hi,

I bought four quarts of High-Temp ATF for my 96 RT/10's T56 over the weekend (haven't put it in yet) as a friend of mine who's a synthetic oil ****** was raving about how much better the T56 would shift and how much cooler it would run.

This morning I did a quick search on here, and now I'm seeing some older posts that are saying Redline can destroy the T56? I'm thinking ***?

Specifically this tread states:
Be very cautious with using Redline in your transmissions. there is something that is in this oil that effects the fiber blocker rings in the T-56 transmissions (according to Tremac/Borg Warner). If you use this and the transmission goes on you, it will void your warranty.

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB2&Number=1008&Forum=All_Forums&Words=redline%20oil&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=99&Old=allposts&Main=1007&Search=true#Post1008

The 96 shop manual states to use Dextron IIE, which has been superceded by DextronIII, and the Redline bottle states it's compatible with that. Redline is closed today or I'd see if they could comment on this.

Does anyone know if this issue has been resolve?? Is it safe to run??

Thanks,
Cal

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: Redline ATF in 96\' RT/10 OK or NOT OK - That is the question

I use Mopar Dexron III in our 1996 RT/10 (and, for that matter, the 95 and 97)BY CHOICE and have had no problems...I use the Mopar Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75W/85 in our 99, 01 and 03 as that was the factory fill.

I have HEARD from reliable, EXPERIENCED sources at Viper Days events that MUCH trouble was noted in track car T-56's (including Comp Coupes) using Redline in tranny, and that the run of problems diasppeared when they returned to the Mopar Synthetic factory fill mentioned above.

I am sure there are other opinions out there, but I hope that this helps a little.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"compatible with.."

I once saw a quart of unlicensed non-detergent engine oil that said it "mixes with" API SH.

There's another thread tonight about Mobil's transmission fluid and suspected problems. From more than a few years at the big bad oil company, I saw that the more likely the fluid is going to be fill-for-life (no matter that the manual says to change it) the OEMs do a lot of testing. Transmission fluids, rear axle oils, and greases are normally not ever changed; coolants and brake fluids maybe are, and engine oil usually is frequently enough. So they spend a lot of time on transmission fluids, gear oils, and grease and have some pretty good fluids.

You might want to look for GM's synthetic manual transmission fluid, but that's only because they use the T56 in the Corvette, Camaro and Firebird.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let me know, too. I just bought some to put in my '97. I hope I didn't just waste $40.

OP
OP
C

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score

After searching more posts, it almost looks like the only "safe" tranny fluids to run are either Amsoil or Motul. Even the ATF the manual states to run appears to be a mistake.

I hope I kept the reciept for that Redline.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456