Reflections from my first year as a viper owner

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took delivery of a 2009 GTS Blue w/white stripes Viper(vert) in early March of this year. With the help of ViperJon and Chuck Tator(both awesome people) I was able to "pull the trigger" with confidence on a car that I honestly had limited knowledge of(outside of my brother-in-laws experience with his 1992 Gen 1). It's a moment that will always be etched in my mind(as I'm sure many of you can attest to). It was a "watershed moment" for me. I had been seriously considering a 2008 Lambo Gallardo for almost a year but luckily came to my senses as logic prevailed in the end. The Viper was the absolute pinnacle of American Supercar engineering and I embraced the obvious. The fact that it could handle my 6'4" frame was definitely a factor as well. As I have told many people in the past year, this car should be illegal because it is just too damn much fun to drive. The past few years were very difficult ones for me. I had to deal with the slow deterioration of my mother due to Alzheimers Disease (it ultimately took her in Oct. of 2010) at the same time I was dealing with my own stage I Pancreatic cancer treatment. From all of this, I realized that life is here for all of us to be lived to the fullest. Last month I had yet another clean annual CT scan. I fully intend to stay al least a step ahead of this monster going forward. Back to the Viper - Bottom line : this car just puts such a smile on my face EVERY TIME I DRIVE HER. You all know what I'm talking about. Just push that red button and all of lifes rough edges just melt away. It doesn't get any better than that. Thanks to all who have helped me along the way and my sincere wish to ALL of my Viper brothers is this - Always remember to take the time to appreciate what you have (don't dwell on what you don't have). Drive safely and have the best Holiday that you can ever imagine having!!! I hope to see you all down the road!!

Scott(Lespauldude)

Kings Park, NY

:D

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seven years and four Vipers later I still feel that same way every single time I get in it.
And grateful that I can.

Nice post Scott Happy Holidays to you.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott: I guess winter is settling there; I bet you can still go and get a smile even sitting in it while its hybernating in the garage......glad that Chuck Tator is still around, he helped me alot with my first Viper......

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats awesome man. I bought my first viper 3 years ago and now 4 vipers later I still feel like a big kid/rockstar every time I get behind the wheel too.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott, thanks for sharing your story. It's great to have something in life that helps you forget about the not-so-great things that may be happening in our lives. Sorry to hear of your mothers passing, but happy to hear youre cleared of cancer.

Vipers are great cars and I really enjoy reading/hearing these kinds of stories. I'll say a prayer for you that the cancer will stay gone. Good luck and keep enjoying the smiles. I hope to hopefully one day enjoy these types of smiles from a Viper of my own.

OP
OP
L

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks very much Austin. It's just a matter of time before you too are smiling from within your own Snake!!

:)

Scott, thanks for sharing your story. It's great to have something in life that helps you forget about the not-so-great things that may be happening in our lives. Sorry to hear of your mothers passing, but happy to hear youre cleared of cancer.

Vipers are great cars and I really enjoy reading/hearing these kinds of stories. I'll say a prayer for you that the cancer will stay gone. Good luck and keep enjoying the smiles. I hope to hopefully one day enjoy these types of smiles from a Viper of my own.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lespauldude,
thanks for your uplifting story. I hope you continue to enjoy good health and your Viper. We all certainly understand what you mean when you push that red button and that V10 rumbles back to life!
PAVenomRT/10
and 09 ACR

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
So glad your health is back to normal and that you can enjoy your great car. I sure enjoy mine. You make a great point about appreciating what we have and not dwelling on the ones we missed. Have a great Christmas and New Year--hopefully meet at some VCA event---Dave

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post. Dittos on pushing that red button. I've had 2 Vipers and I plan on getting a 3rd. Stay healthy and enjoy life! My best friend from college beat cancer as well (thyroid).
Merry Christmas and God Bless.

OP
OP
L

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:DThanks so much Dave! You have a great Christmas and New Year as well!!

Scott

So glad your health is back to normal and that you can enjoy your great car. I sure enjoy mine. You make a great point about appreciating what we have and not dwelling on the ones we missed. Have a great Christmas and New Year--hopefully meet at some VCA event---Dave

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
God bless lespauldude. You truly seem like a good guy and this community is lucky to have you. Merry christmas

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Merry Christmas....just read your post to my wife and it was very inspirational.Love my 06 vert and looking to get to 08.Wanna do some track and some tracks like VIR wont let me on.So im torn on a coupe or get a vert and an autoform bar....oh well it was nice to read your perspective this time of year.

Pappa Prich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A great story -- wishing you the best and you stay cancer free! I love hearing stories like this and I'm hoping that come the spring I will be able to have the same smile and feelings!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From one Scott to another, that's a GREAT post. Best wishes for your health. I bought my 03 back in April 2010. Every time I drive it, it brings a smile to my face. What you said is spot on, enjoy what you have, and give thanks. Happy Holidays to you.

OP
OP
L

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks PirateViper. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!!

Merry Christmas....just read your post to my wife and it was very inspirational.Love my 06 vert and looking to get to 08.Wanna do some track and some tracks like VIR wont let me on.So im torn on a coupe or get a vert and an autoform bar....oh well it was nice to read your perspective this time of year.

OP
OP
L

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks very much Pappa Prich. Have a great year!! Good things always happen in the Spring!!

A great story -- wishing you the best and you stay cancer free! I love hearing stories like this and I'm hoping that come the spring I will be able to have the same smile and feelings!

OP
OP
L

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the wishes, Scott. Happy Holidays to you as well. Before we know it, Spring will be here!!

Scott

From one Scott to another, that's a GREAT post. Best wishes for your health. I bought my 03 back in April 2010. Every time I drive it, it brings a smile to my face. What you said is spot on, enjoy what you have, and give thanks. Happy Holidays to you.

Dale.Volz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott,

Thank you for sharing your story and the positive inspirational message. I understand some of what you have experienced. I too am a cancer survivor (5 years now), and my wife and I bought our Viper in celebration of my 3rd year of survival/recovery. Our Vibora has been an integral part of that recovery. Interestingly, she rolled out of the CAAP the same month I was diagnosed with cancer; we like to think she was always meant to eventually become part of our family.

Like you, we too have learned to celebrate each day and give thanks for the blessings we have, no matter how insignificant they may seem. I'd like to communicate further with you; I'll be sending a personal message.

Have a joyous and safe holiday.

~Dale

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang