Removal of GTS gas cap

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to remember a while back someone posted some tips/tricks on how to remove the Lemans style gas cap properly, and keeping the filler neck up. There's nothing in the how-to section about it.

Can anyone help? I'm planning on removing it and disassembling it to have it powdercoated, but don't want to find out the hard way if I don't have to :rolleyes:

Any tips on the disassembly too? Any tips are appreciated!:2tu:

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just took mine out and had it chromed. It was pretty easy. The 4 bolts that hold it on loosen it up pretty good. Then just pull gently straight out to loosen it from the rubbr seal. I was not able to reintall it though w/o taking the rear inner fender out and holding the filler tube and having someone else push the cap back on the seal.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After removing the bolts, twist the cap out. Its a little more difficult to re-install but use some light grease or vaseline around the filler tube of the cap and gently twist it back on the hose. Then re-install the bolts. It took me about 20 minutes to do.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use the Vaseline/grease idea in the above post, it helps alot. The other thing to know id that there is a little hole in the filler tube....I think its on the top side of the tube.....very hard to see without a flashlight (no lighters please!) which can be used to hold up the tube while reconnecting. I bent a hook in a barbeque skewer and it worked great, just get the hook in the hole and that'll be enough to hold the tube in place.

The bbq skewer has a loop on the top that makes it easy to hold with one hand, any heavey-gauge wire-like thing will lwork.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you use the rod method to pull the neck back up then make sure that the rod or BBQ skewer is bent at the top, if you drop it or it slips out you hand it will fall down the tube into the tank.

Early caps are much easier to strip and powdercoat or chrome thay have brass pins holding them to gether and are easy to push out using a vice and some metal rods.

If its a powder coat or chrome job then you do need to strip it or the plastic pins will melt, its also very easy to break the patch piece which is U shaped