Remove tires for the winter?

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repete post.

It's getting cold here in the north. My Viper is stored in my unheated attached garage. Should I pull the the rims off so I can store my PS 2's in the basment ? Will minimizing the temperature extremes help keep the rubber softer longer or am I waisting time (as well as abilty to move the car around in the garage)?

Last edited:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't remove my tires. I simply pump up the air pressure in the tires. I put only 5 lbs of pressure in but others might tell you to put in as much as the tire will allow. This is to help prevent flat spotting. I also put carpet under the tires as well.
Sorry if this is a repete post.

It's getting cold here in the north. My Viper is stored in my unheated attached garage. Should I pull the the rims off so I can store my PS 2's in the basment ? Will minimizing the temperature extremes help keep the rubber softer longer or am I waisting time (as well as abilty to move the car around in the garage)?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warmer temperature storage will not extend the tire life. Proximity to an ozone source (near elctric motors, etc) will shorten their life. Storage near a furnace is bad medicine. If you bring them inside bag them and keep them out of sunlight and away from electrical devices.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heat accelerates oxidation and further vulcanization, so the tire ages more. Same as when you drive it; the heat (cycles) make the rubber harder.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is this? I have my waiting to be put on PS2's in my basement and they are next to my furnace.
Furnaces are a large ozone creator due to combustion and electrical motors. That is why placing a tire in an enclosed furnace room is the worst place in a house. Heat also is not good as Tom stated.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you park your Viper so that the tires are on several layers of carpet squares, the tires won't flatspot. I've heard this is also better for the suspension than having the car up on blocks.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a reply on another thread that ozone or something else you didn't want to come in contact with the tires would permeate through the plastic bags anyway. FWIW, I put my extra tires in plastic bags to keep them cleaner and keep critters out, then under the deck outside where they are cold and in constant shade.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang