Removing cam on Gen1.

Reaction score
You can remove the cam while the engine is in the car although you would have to remove the radiator and ac condenser to facilitate it.

Also, you may lift the engine up far enough to remove the cam. Either way, it's a big job and make certain you replace the lifters with new, non-bleed down units. Good luck!!!

Doug

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he said. Have fun. I did this with my old Gen 2 but removed the entire front. Time consuming but if you have the time, could save you a grand.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to mention, i hope your doing head work as cam alone is not worth it.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck Tator has a method where he removed the trans cross member and lowers the transmission end to remove the cam.

Do you loosen/remove the headers, they are going to make contact pretty quick? But, you are saying you can leave the radiator in-place? I am getting ready to buy my magnets.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did cam/head work on my GenII last summer. I removed the cam with the engine in the Viper. Following Tator's advice:

(1.) I unbolted the engine mounts from the frame
(2.) Unbolted the tranny crossbrace
(3.) Place a jack under the oil pan, lifted until the engine angled up,tranny angled down.
(4.) I loosened (not removed) the engine crossbrace and moved it out of the way to clear the camshaft removal.
(5.) Heads and lifters remove. However, using magnets on the lifters (20), Tator and others have removed the camshaft with heads/lifters installed.

I used an extra long bolt in the camshaft to facilitate removal.
CamshaftInstall1.jpg

CamshaftInstall2.jpg

CamshaftInstall3.jpg

OP
OP
R

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the information guys. I already have the heads off and they are at Greg Good's. Fan and radiator are out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh