Removing the transmission...

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am pulling the tranny from a 97 GTS. Are the 6 bolts in the picture the only ones that hold the engine and tranny together? I have the bolts out but the tranny still seems firmly attached to the engine. By the way, the tranny mount is removed as well as the driveshaft. ;)

Thanks

Last edited:

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
8 bolts total. One is hard to see on top. Your drawing isn't showing the two obvious ones on the bottom.

mr viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Remove the transmission from the bell housing first. after the transmission is down, then remove the bell housing. Make sure to remove the clutch slave hose before removing anything. good luck.. Frank

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done mine Saturday just gone...

Straight forward... long extension bar from the rear of the box to get the top ones... Also found it easier to remove the shifter from the box as well . Limits the boot getting damaged..

OVERBOOST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done mine Saturday just gone...

Straight forward... long extension bar from the rear of the box to get the top ones... Also found it easier to remove the shifter from the box as well . Limits the boot getting damaged..

Dido on the shifter!!! It's not that hard of a JOB. I took mine out with the car on jack stands. Just more of a pain putting it back in.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also if you want you can remove the box with the harness still atached..

Front left of the box (standing behind) there is a multi plug on the trans tunnel....

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am pulling the tranny from a 97 GTS. Are the 6 bolts in the picture the only ones that hold the engine and tranny together? I have the bolts out but the tranny still seems firmly attached to the engine. By the way, the tranny mount is removed as well as the driveshaft. ;)

Thanks

Yea, your picture is showing the bell housing bolts not the transmission bolts. I never remove the shifter. There is one bolt on top that you can't see very well. You can also pull the wipers then cowling on top to get access or at least see it :)

Last edited:

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah...if you leave the bell housing on the transmission, it's almost impossible to remove the while thing from the car. (At least on GEN1s) You should be leaving the bell housing in place and removing the transmission. While you're in there, do yourself a favor and replace the slave cylinder if it's more than 5 years old. It's cheap and if it lets go, you'll be under there again removing the entire transmission...again. It's not like most cars where the slave cylinder is on the outside and easily removable.

DVSGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are two guide dowels also. If it hasn't been removed in awhile, those dowels like to hold things together a little bit.

OP
OP
S

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ended up leaving the bell housing on and removing the tranny. It came right out. I didn’t follow the advice on pulling the shifter and now I get to replace the boot. :rolleyes: The engine is out as well, which was the point of the whole thing. The bell housing is still tight with all of the bolts out, but I bet it’s never been separated. Have to do some careful persuading with it I guess.
The engine mount bolts snapped right off and the tranny mount is shot. Is there a Dodge dealer that you all get your parts from at a discount?
Now starts the tearing down of the engine. I have everything on video so far and have been taking pics. Ill time lapse it all and post it up when finished.

Thanks

mr viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah...if you leave the bell housing on the transmission, it's almost impossible to remove the while thing from the car. (At least on GEN1s) You should be leaving the bell housing in place and removing the transmission. While you're in there, do yourself a favor and replace the slave cylinder if it's more than 5 years old. It's cheap and if it lets go, you'll be under there again removing the entire transmission...again. It's not like most cars where the slave cylinder is on the outside and easily removable.

I own both, gen1 and gen2, it's the same.. And yes, it's almost impossible to remove the trans with the bell housing on. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala