Repainting my Viper

vermontv23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I Am looking to repaint my Viper. Mine currently is Red. I am looking for the best place in LA that can repaint my car. The problem is that i bought this car used and the previous owner did not care if she is sparkly clean. So i want to repaint the car and re-chrome my rims. any ideas:dunno:? please hlep

OP
OP
V

vermontv23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks I'll check them out I hope it's not as expensive as getting clean used ones !

How about painting the whole vehicle? Anyone ?

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think to do it right they remove the panels and paint them off the car. Could be wrong though. I think about 6k is a price I've heard for a quality repaint.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year viper? vert/coupe? and what color are you thinking for the repaint?

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the paint really that bad that you would have to repaint? Perhaps you should watch some of the Junkman video's, or take it to a high end detailing shop to get their opinion before going the repaint route.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Keep in mind a quality repaint , where alot of the vehicle needs to be dismantled , etc. could likely cost you in the realm of 7 -10K. So I agree with the question asked, just how bad is it???

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To Viper067's point, you should explore other options before going for repaint.

I worked in a body shop many moons ago, but used my knowledge to wetsand my red RT two years ago. The car actually allows for one wetsanding with no effect on the clear coat. Advantages:

- Far less expensive than repainting
- Maintains originality of car and helps hold value if original paint.

You need to find a good body shop that will be willing to do this for you.

Just so you can see the difference, here is my wetsanding thread with before and after pictures. While my paint wasn't terrible, it had lots of imperfections some worse than others but trunk was the worst as you can see in the pictures. By the way, I took Best-In-Class at one of the large car shows we attend!

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/627265-wet-sanding-my-98-rt-10-trunk.html

I'm sure your VCA Region will have recommendations for body shops.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine had his SRT-10 roadster repainted a couple of years ago. The clear was going bad so Dodge paid to have that part repainted, but he wanted the entire car repainted, so he paid the difference. The total bill came to $13k and he had to pay $10k of it. He had it done by a top notch shop that specializes in custom show cars. For what it's worth his car is solid red, which red paint tends to be a bit more expensive. For a truly quality job I would expect at least $10k for a Viper repaint.

OP
OP
V

vermontv23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i guess ill have to look at the Junkman videos ;) i would rather spend 10K in FI and tuning thank you all for your help

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I completely agree with Victor. Post pics of the car. Take a look at it yourself and see if there's still a clear coat.

Chances are, you can fix the paint without repainting.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i take it you are THE Junkman?? how can i get a hold of you? where are you located?

I'm in Louisville, Kentucky. You can PM me and I'll shoot you my number if you would rather talk via the phone. If you're close enough to drive, my garage is open as it is to any member here. I love talking paint and will gladly show you how to completely repair yours if that is your desire. Just let me know. I am doing a clinic in PA at Thompson Racing and in Atlanta next month. You are more than welcome to attend. The cost is free. :2tu:

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why don't you cover it in Vinyl and then Clear bra it afterwards? The cost of the Vinyl cover is about $3000. PM me and I can give you suggestions if that may interest you.

OP
OP
V

vermontv23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hybird1098, thank you for the advise but i am trying to choose the easiest and cheapest way to do it...I just want to apply something and 7 days later throw it away