Replace door hinge on RT/10. Any tips?

MJBComp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered a door hinge for my snake because the door stop broke off the old one. Looks like a pretty simple job. Here's how i see the project:

1.) Make sure you don't scratch or drop the door when performing this task.
2.) Refer back to #1 often.
3.) Unbolt the old door.
4.) Replace with new hinge.
5.) Make sure the door closes OK and level.
6.) Done!

Is it this simple or should i pay my viper tech to do it for me and charge me $$$.

Thanks guys.

Michael

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MJBComp
Don't take both hinges off,only the broken one,that
will keep the adjustment very close to correct

Skeeter

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, there's only one hinge per side. Take a sharp object and scribe around your old hinge BEFORE removing it to get a general location for the new one. You'll never see the scribe mark after reassembly. Remove the hood opening panel just in front of the door making sure to keep the spacing shims separated so you know which position they go back to. If they stick to the body, take them off so they don't fall off later. Open the door all the way. Take out the two 13mm-1/2 head bolts that secure the hinge to the DOOR. Leave the 2 torqs head bolts in for now. Carefully shut the door completely. Now just barely loosen the 2 torqs head bolts through the access holes in the hinge. Remove the 4 13mm head bolts that hold the hinge to the BODY. Now you can remove the 2 torqs bolts and the hinge is off. Hold the door against the car while the hinge is off. Install new hinge in reverse of disassembly. Line up scribe marks, tighten all fasteners and then spend next hour trying to align door to close properly!! You also have to watch the window glass alignment to the w/strip. Just because you scribed it doesn't mean it will line up first time. You WILL have to adjust it. The easy part is the install, the hard parts the alignment. That's why I charge at least 2 hrs. to replace a hinge. If you have a doubt, have a pro do it. One more thing, apply a little lube, I use graphite engine assy. lube, to the "check" spring and tab. The biggest cause of failure is LACK OF LUBE! (I hate it when that happens!!) Every so often you must lube the hinges by opening door completely, look straight down behind hood opening panel, spray lube down to the hinge "check". I prefer Tri-flow graphite spray lube. Happy ** ** day, dj.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
TOO DANG-NAB BAD we do not have a moderated archive just for GOOD STUFF like this.

This is about the 3rd request for hinge help, and the most all-encompassing answer. Now, lost to the ages. Dont EVEn start about a search key, because stuff I have posted I can no longer find.

WE NEED A SYMPTOM / DIAGNOSIS / FIX section where folks can READ-ONLY, but modrators can drag good stuff like this:

Symptom: Door sag; Door wont stay open
Diagnosis: Defective hinge; possibly due to no lubrication.
Solution: As Dave kindly posted.

Symptom: cranks, hard to start; starts on 3rd-4th try
Diagnosis: probable fuel pump pressure leakdown; prime pump with 3-4 on-off cycles. Then start. If this works, diagnosis confirmed. {Or use pressure guage on intake manifold)
Solution: Remove/replace fuel pump module...or live with it.

Sympton: Pukes coolant from RF; Runs hot
Diagnosis: Air in motor
Solution: Burping instructions

And on, and on, and on.............I have been begging for this for 3+ years. I'll could HELP by identifying solutions, editing the format and reply, and pointing some capable moderator to them so they can be archived as read-only somewhere.
Start in the defunct "GURU" section, which TRIED to do this til 'someone' complained that Gurus even existed, and the squeeky wheel was obliged by the section being closed. Sheesh.

How about it Joe? Jay? MadTony? Solutions are a terrible thing to waste.........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302