Replace fog lights with Cessna landing light's ? Worked on my Harley

O.C. Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Replace fog lights with Cessna landing light\'s ? Worked on my Harley

I just got my 06 and started having bad thought's about changing things. I have a Harley with a fairing, and the landing lights work just fine. Dunno, might be a law....but, I can see for miles. Viper lights are probably bright enough

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Replace fog lights with Cessna landing light\'s ? Worked on my Harley

Heat? The stronger the light, the hotter it gets....not a problem on a plane or bike, but would probably melt the front bumper if left on a while. I also think you'd get pulled pretty quick. I'm no expert, but I'd say a few cell phone calls from blinded on-coming motorists would get the cops attention.

If aimed properly, the SRT lights are bright enough...the GTS and RT-10's weren't.

OP
OP
O

O.C. Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Humm, the harleys fairing is fiberglass. but you might have a good point. damn it

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

the code on the fog lights is 9145 ... doesn't someone sell a brighter/whiter light bulb for the SRT that the yellowish fog lights that come stock???

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How much are teh Cessna landing lights?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I do not have an SRT10, (mine's a 2000 GTS) but if indeed the foglights take a 9145....there is a cheap upgrade.

Both my Fords, and '03 Cobra and '05 Excursion use the 9145 foglight bulb. At least on the Fords, a 9005 hi-beam bulb will plug right in. The plug is the same..the only thing that differs slightly is the tabs on the bulb itself. In both my cases, a bit of wiggling and the 9005 went in.

The 9145s are 42 watt. 9005s are 60 watt. The difference in power used is somewhere around 1 or 1.5A higher...certainly not enough of a difference to cause a problem (a disclaimer...your mileage may vary) and I have yet to see a problem with either vehicle with more than a year's use. I used a Infrared Thermometer and even the wiring temp did not change.

People do not flash at me when driving either vehicle and the difference, especially on the Excursion was immense.

Plus, you can buy the 9005s as plain old halogens, Silverstars, etc.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Could always go HID:
http://www.randjdistributing.com/lighting/index.htm

I need something brighter, although people still flash me (then again most people on the road seem to be crackheads anyways).

Damn, just noticed these were only for 02's and earlier...

they have the srt listed on there...I think i'm going to buy a set anyone know if our stock headlamps are 6000k or 8000k? I would hate for them not to match!

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last edited:

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahaha ... I never tried the landing lights but I used 130w bulbs and they melted my wires ... In addition all metalic parts will rust very quickly. When a hot 800F metalic part gets some water it rusts right away. My Hella fog lamp lasted 2 years ...

I think I will try the landing light mod. It is better than having the Hella lamps. Here cops spot them quickly here because of the illegal subarus ...

Check this:
HID Landing Light - Cessna 172 - LoPresti Speed Merchants - Boom Beam Systems

It seems that even our Cessna friend have their after market parts ...

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I changed mine to the NOKYA 7000K artic white pro halogen.
they are called a H10 and its 55W. They are a direct replacement for the 9145.
I have a picture of the lights when I only changed out one and the difference is amazing. they look almost as white as the stock HID's so when ran together it looks the same.
i think I paid maybe 20 bucks for them. Are they noticably brighter........no but I was only changing them so the "Color" would match the HID's. I can send a pic if someone whats to put it up......
You must be registered for see images

ok well i think i figured it out...

Last edited:

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a picture of the lights when I only changed out one and the difference is amazing. they look almost as white as the stock HID's so when ran together it looks the same.
i think I paid maybe 20 bucks for them. Are they noticably brighter........no but I was only changing them so the "Color" would match the HID's. I can send a pic if someone whats to put it up.......

Send them my way.. and ill post them up!!:2tu:

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i think I paid maybe 20 bucks for them. Are they noticably brighter........no but I was only changing them so the "Color" would match the HID's. I can send a pic if someone whats to put it up.......

Send them my way.. and ill post them up!!:2tu:

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in college (more years ago than I care to discuss), I had a '72 Capri with a quad headlight setup. I installed aircraft landing lights in the highbeam slots and the light output was unbelieveable. I could see for about ever. The landing lights didn't have connectors, just wires, so I had to cut the connector off the car wiring and solder light and car wires together, but they were the proper size and mounted in the stock headlight mounts.

I had no problems with heat or overloaded wiring. As for police, I was never stopped. And when I flashed some oncoming idiot who wouldn't dim their high beams, well, let's just say I got their attention and they always decided it would be the polite thing to do to dim their own lights after all. I guess they figured they could either dim their own lights or continue to suffer retina damage from mine.

Now, in the many years since, automotive lights have developed tremendously and, I imagine, so have aircraft lights. But, maybe it will still work to convert totally useless foglights to aircraft landing lights.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viperman---I just went back and noticed that the link you had listed were for the fogs lights that I have........So maybe I paid alittle more than 20 bucks for them. Either way it was a GREAT upgrade if you hated the way the factory yellow halogens looked compared to the Factory HID's...

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viperman---I just went back and noticed that the link you had listed were for the fogs lights that I have........So maybe I paid alittle more than 20 bucks for them. Either way it was a GREAT upgrade if you hated the way the factory yellow halogens looked compared to the Factory HID's...

Yep, a super easy upgrade. I even played around with some other brands too (the auto parts store brands never seemed to be much better) but here's a pic I posted a couple of years ago -- these has just a hint of blue/white color:

8421Viper_Light.jpg

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, this is even funnier......The reason I bought those bulbs in the first place was after I saw this pic on the forum.........lol

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in college (more years ago than I care to discuss), I had a '72 Capri with a quad headlight setup. I installed aircraft landing lights in the highbeam slots and the light output was unbelieveable. I could see for about ever. The landing lights didn't have connectors, just wires, so I had to cut the connector off the car wiring and solder light and car wires together, but they were the proper size and mounted in the stock headlight mounts.

I had no problems with heat or overloaded wiring. As for police, I was never stopped. And when I flashed some oncoming idiot who wouldn't dim their high beams, well, let's just say I got their attention and they always decided it would be the polite thing to do to dim their own lights after all. I guess they figured they could either dim their own lights or continue to suffer retina damage from mine.

Now, in the many years since, automotive lights have developed tremendously and, I imagine, so have aircraft lights. But, maybe it will still work to convert totally useless foglights to aircraft landing lights.

Oh yeah..we used to use those back in the 60's and 70's. I could flash an oncoming car with it's high beams on at virutally any distance and they'd dim their lights.

If I was the one needing my highbeams on, I could light up the road ahead for what seemed like a mile.

A local auto parts used to sell the aircraft landing lights. But there's a county airport about 8 miles away too ;)

AWESOME STUFF