Replaced rear hatch glass seal on my GTS. Very easy project.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A while back, I started hearing a noise from the rear of the car when I went over a certain sharpness of bump. It sounded like a ball peen hammer lightly hitting glass in the passenger rear corner of the car. I knew it was the hatch, but after reading some threads about the hydraulic pistons detaching from the glass I checked and nothing was wrong with the pistons. Old rubber seal looked in good shape, but I thought that maybe it was compressing enough that it was allowing the fat part of the piston to touch the hatch glass?? So I ordered a new seal from Chuck Tator (got here ridiculously fast) and I finally put it in yesterday. Easy job. Old one pulled right off. I cleaned the lip it goes on, then I stretched out the new seal and marked the center-point. After marking the center of the hatch hole between the two hinges I fed the new seal in and used the two center markings as a beginning point. Just bumped the main slot over the body with a rubber mallet then used my fingers to pull the second slot over the trim parts like the headliner and plastic trim parts that are held by the seal giving the inner hatch area a finished look. The seal seems to stick fine woithout any glue. Only tight part was where the two ends came together right by the latch. I suggest you not stretch the new seal at all as you put it on - but rather kind of bunch it up as It is plenty long and the first attempt I had about 1/4" - 3/8" of overlap of the two ends. A little sliding and the ends lined up. Best news is I test drove the car - including on a stretch of road with cracks that made the noise every time - and NO NOISE! If your rear hatch seal is beat up or leaking, putting a new piece in is easy.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice. I get that pop occassionally on my GTS. Can you tell me how much the seal costs? You can pm me if you don't want to post it.

Thanks for the info :headbang:

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A while back, I started hearing a noise from the rear of the car when I went over a certain sharpness of bump. It sounded like a ball peen hammer lightly hitting glass in the passenger rear corner of the car. I knew it was the hatch, but after reading some threads about the hydraulic pistons detaching from the glass I checked and nothing was wrong with the pistons. Old rubber seal looked in good shape, but I thought that maybe it was compressing enough that it was allowing the fat part of the piston to touch the hatch glass?? So I ordered a new seal from Chuck Tator (got here ridiculously fast) and I finally put it in yesterday. Easy job. Old one pulled right off. I cleaned the lip it goes on, then I stretched out the new seal and marked the center-point. After marking the center of the hatch hole between the two hinges I fed the new seal in and used the two center markings as a beginning point. Just bumped the main slot over the body with a rubber mallet then used my fingers to pull the second slot over the trim parts like the headliner and plastic trim parts that are held by the seal giving the inner hatch area a finished look. The seal seems to stick fine woithout any glue. Only tight part was where the two ends came together right by the latch. I suggest you not stretch the new seal at all as you put it on - but rather kind of bunch it up as It is plenty long and the first attempt I had about 1/4" - 3/8" of overlap of the two ends. A little sliding and the ends lined up. Best news is I test drove the car - including on a stretch of road with cracks that made the noise every time - and NO NOISE! If your rear hatch seal is beat up or leaking, putting a new piece in is easy.

Good deal, I remember when you asked about this noise months ago. Did the same and has not made a noise since.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh man - owned by my fellow Silver in Phoenix viper owner! :D

We will have to get together and hit Pavilions now that the weather is back. We can compare hatch rubber.