Replacement of rear speakers in 96RT10

checkers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know the steps in removing the rear speakers?thanks

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have to remove the center console (a screw by each seat/Figure A.) and the plastic piece that surrounds the shifter (held on by velcro/in second picture).

The most time-consuming, forearm-killing part is removing each of the pieces that the window snaps into (Figure B.) Each of those screws are about 3" long and you need a stubby screwdriver to get them out. There are a total of 6 screws. You might be able to just loosen them and slide the bulkhead off, but I completely removed them.

There are 2 screws and 2 nuts holding the rear speaker enclosure on once you get the bulkhead off (Figure C.). Once you have those off you'll have full access to the speakers. There is some extra room in the enclosure, so I chose to mount my in-line crossovers that came with my full-range speakers in there.

This was all done on a 1993; your car may be a little different. It's also been about 6 months since I tackled that, so there may be a thing or two I'm missing, but that's what I recollect.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions. Good luck!

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to, but it makes things exponentially easier. The bottom cushions are just latched onto the seat frame with a piece of wire in the front. Once they're off, it's about 5 minutes and a socket set to get each out.

I'd recommend pulling them; it'll make things a lot easier in the long run and you won't risk puncturing or scratching the leather while you're in there messing with the speakers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

checkers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll pop the seats out per your directions...

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OOPS. I almost forgot the 4 screws in the bulkhead behind the seats. They hold it and the rubber bumpers for your seat in place. You'd have figured it out anyway, but I updated the graphic do include them anyway (Figure D.).

Send me a PM or post here if you have trouble with getting the seat cushions off. It was easy for me to figure out because one of them wasn't latched when I bought the car; I could just pull the bottom cushion off and see how the other one was anchored.

Last edited:

Sloloco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to all for this post. One of the aftermarket JLs in my '92 are popping, so I need to get in there and swap it out. Looking at factory diagrams online, It looked to be a little labor intensive.

Cheers, Lance