Replacing sparkplugs, how tight?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OEM plugs being replaced. Box says tighten by hand and tighten 1/2 turn to compress washer.

True on an aluminum engine? Isn't 1/2 a little much?

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, I was hoping you weren't going to say that because getting a torque wrench in there is rather tricky. If you've done this, would you say it was a 1/2 turn? Or a 1/4 turn after it's tight by hand? Thanks, Craig

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I generally do when I don't or can't use a torque wrench, is to keep a track of where I hold the normal wrench and how much force I use. I then reverse that force. By not using any body weight, your arm becomes the torque wrench. Start with the smallest wrench and progressively move towards a bigger wrench working from the center to the end of the grip each time. While this is approximation, it's never failed me yet.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Craig, I honestly don't recall...and, since I only change plugs every couple of years on one Viper or another, I DO use a torque wrench...trying to minimize universals. One of my bigger fears in botching the job when working with aluminum...noting that I always surprise myself by over doing it when GUESSING torque on the low end of the scale.

Heck, come on down, and we can get it done !!!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about gap on the plugs - any need to vary or should they be correct right out of the box?

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd check 'em to be safe, but every single one of my Champion plugs was dead on the money as far as gap.
Just put on plugs and wires last month - made a big difference, too!

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just finished replacing mine 5 minutes ago. Took 40-45 minutes. Used Torque wrench on all, set at 20ft/lb as per manual, gap at 35 thou. Take your time, take 5 and grab a coffee or beer if you start to get frustrated. I found a useful tool is a telescopic mirror, to look into the plug heat shroud, just to make sure all looks well and you haven't cracked one. I found it was a lot harder to get the old ones out! Once I had broken the seal I vacuumed the shroud out so that no built up debris in the shroud would enter the cylinder head when I removed the plug, mirror also useful here. Next job is wires (waiting arrival of Partsrack order)

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the Champion plugs, gap was .035 and one was off so good thing I checked.

Relatively easy to do, more power but that could just be in my head.

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes and yes, check your manual for exact part # and gap is .035
I got a 1/2 female to 3/8 male socket so I can use my 1/2 torque wrench and convert down to 3/8 which is easier for me to change the plugs with.