Retrofitting ABS

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone looked into retrofitting the ABS systems of 01/02 cars into prior models? Probably an involved project, but I was curious. There are lots of cars on the market, and if it would probably be cost effective in the right scenario to pick up an earlier car with better mods as a whole and then add it to the party. I'm picturing it being a headache though.

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Tusc, this has been done and yes it is a bit of a pain.
I really love my 99 but wanted better brakes and ABS. I ended up with a hybrid Gen2/Gen3 system.
Had a hard time finding some of the parts but now have sources for all of it and have pictures of what it looks like partially installed to make it easier. If it is something you are interested in pursuing, send me a message and I would be willing to help share my lessons learned. Some things that may not be as obvious are the rear brake line on 92-2000 runs to the master cylinder, if you put the ABS controller/hydraulic unit under headlight, then brake line needs to go there instead. Another is that to bleed the system and have it diagnosed by a technician, you will need to connect it to the OBD2 diagnostic port... Lots of lessons learned but I would do it again, love the results.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of people recommend Tom's 40mm brakes for the earlier cars. While not ABS i've heard everybody rave about how well the cars stops.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, S-Bob. The 40mm rear calipers are how the car should have come; not a shade of gray improvement, it's night and day. The brake performance data is on my website and one of the links provided leads back to a VCA thread where someone compared them to ABS car data, which was very similar. Tusc, you aren't that far away and could perhaps drop them off, or check with Chuck Tator who installs them and has the 40mm brakes on his personal car. My number is also on the website - all consultations are free! ;)

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it and LOVED IT on my 98 GTS (and like an IDIOT later sold the car). Archer used to have this as a "kit" and was user installable in a weekend, including new 6-piston calipers on the front and the stock fronts moved to the back. As noted above, only tedious bit was the need for tech to connect to the OBD2 port to complete the brake-bleeding process.

Wasn't cheap - though one wouldn't have to do the caliper upgrade - ~$7000 if I recall correctly. There are some posts out in the archives from that time.

I thought it was one of the best mods I made to that car.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
phffft..ABS who needs that!??!? No ABS doesn't bother me one bit, infact when I buy another GTS to complete my collection I plan on buying 97 or 98 so there is no ABS.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it and LOVED IT on my 98 GTS (and like an IDIOT later sold the car). Archer used to have this as a "kit" and was user installable in a weekend, including new 6-piston calipers on the front and the stock fronts moved to the back. As noted above, only tedious bit was the need for tech to connect to the OBD2 port to complete the brake-bleeding process.

Wasn't cheap - though one wouldn't have to do the caliper upgrade - ~$7000 if I recall correctly. There are some posts out in the archives from that time.

In honor of this thread I am going to have a 10% sale - 40mm calipers for 10% of the ABS kit! :2tu: Offer good for all of 2010!

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So if I wanted to retro-fit the brakes with abs onto my gen 2 from the srt-10 it would cost me at least $7k?? What about retro-fitting the abs sensors and hardware from an 01-02 viper?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rw

tom's big brake kit is a no brainer upgrade if coin is an issue, if not, jonb (parts rack) has a special going on now

unless you just have to have abs

i like abs, but in your situation, i'd get tom's bb kit, (and is cool upgrade to boot)

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I wanted to retro-fit the brakes with abs onto my gen 2 from the srt-10 it would cost me at least $7k?? What about retro-fitting the abs sensors and hardware from an 01-02 viper?

That was with new 6 psiton calipers which is a large chunck of change.

1fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did this to my 97 BW for about $8K at Vallaya Racing in San Jose. Best mod by far for me... esp on the track.

I've been on the fence about selling the car if you are interested in one that has already had the work done so you don't have to pay the full $. Shoot me a PM...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Best mod by far for me...

Thinking about looking up one of those ABS threads and pasting these in there. Just for some added color. Not trying to be serious or anything like that. We all know ABS doesn't work, is a waste of money, and only girls driving pink Corvettes use it.

1fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking about looking up one of those ABS threads and pasting these in there. Just for some added color. Not trying to be serious or anything like that. We all know ABS doesn't work, is a waste of money, and only girls driving pink Corvettes use it.

Well - I guess that depends. For a fairly novice driver the ABS allows for a much safer track experience. At least that was the case for me. It let me get out there and not kill myself...

How did you know I drove a pink Corvette:drive:

1fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh...also want to add. My upgrade is the gen 3 calipers and rotors with the gen 2 ABS. The car stops. Before the upgrade I didn't feel as confident on the track.

Reaction score
There is no comparison to ABS. It is a MUST have. Conversion was very difficult and time consuming, especially since I wanted an abs light in my message center in the dash.

Here are my notes since I do not visit this site very often. You can email me if you have further questions at [email protected].

ABS PROJECT

PARTS:

Front Knuckles
Front Hubs
Front Seals
Tone Wheels
Front ABS Sensors

Rear ABS Yokes
Rear Sensors

Teves MK20e ABS from a 2001-2002 Viper

Wiring Harness for Teves MK20 or MK20e.
(I used a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee – MK20)
Relays
(I used 2 relays from the Jeep PDC, similar to the brake light relay in Viper PDC)
(one for brake light, and one for ABS light circuits)

2-Fuse Holders (ABS power 10A and 40A)

Phase-1
  • Mount ABS unit. (Used bracket from salvage yard and welded to it.)
(I mounted mine behind the drivers side of the radiator)

Phase-2
  • Remove existing front brake lines.
  • Fabricate and mount new brake lines. (note: bubble flare at ABS unit all others double flare) (Use solid copper wire as a template for bending brake lines.)
Master cylinder primary and secondary to ABS
ABS to each front
ABS to the rear line
  • Bleed brakes
Phase-3
  • Replace front knuckles (Find someone with the tool, or it is very difficult)
  • Modify front brake line to clear tone wheel.
  • Install rear yokes.
  • Modify rear sensors.
  • Drill and tap rear knuckles to mount sensors.
(I had to grind the casting letters off the knuckles to mount the sensors)

Phase -4 (Wiring harness)

Power from PDC terminal. Terminal nut was too tight to loosen without breaking PDC.
I had to loosen nut from inside/underside of terminal.

I only had 2 sensor connectors like the 01-02 Vipers. I used them on the front and used a non-locking type on the rear. (From Jeep harness).

Power, ground, and sensors were all external. I routed everything else inside the cabin to the fuse box. ( I would recommend taping into the other circuits near the PDC. I spent hours upside down wiring through the dash. I had to remove the seat, console, radio bezel, and the lower parts of the left dash to get behind the fuse box.) I also installed another ALDL connector just dedicated for the ABS for my Snap-On scanner to run diagnostic tests and bleed the ABS unit.

ABS pinout

Relay

Additional:
Test drive, check for leaks, noise, alignment, etc.
Wire ASB light.
Road Test
Unplug a sensor and drive to see if ABS light will activate.
Fabricate shield for ABS unit.

If I had to do again I would try to use the existing front brake line to the ABS unit.

Reaction score
Additional information I had gathered while looking for ABS controller options.

MY 2000 or 2001 Nissan Xterra/Frontier MK20e ABS
controller. All lamps and switches are hard-wired, no BUS information is
needed for operation.

Alternatives could be

MY 1998 - 2000 Toyota Tacoma MK20e ABS
MY 1998 - 2000 Ford Ranger MK20e ABS

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah matt, I was gonna say... the abs system is almost seperate from the ecu (I think), so I'd think you should be to piece together a kit from a completely different car

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score

try hard braking from 80mph in 40* weather, and see how big the cloud of tire smoke is behind you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery