Rev Limiter or Valve float?

Greg B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just put some new PS2's on my 2001 GTS, and was going thru the gears from a stop when i was in 2nd gear between 5 and 6K RPM i noticed the power drop off or kind of top out, at first i thought i blew my engine but it ran fine afterwards no oil pressure loss or anything I do have T&D roller rockers- do not know if thet relates to anything, but is this common?does a 2001 Viper have a Rev Limiter?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that all Vipers have a rev limiter, set to 6200 RPM I believe. But if you down shift to the wrong gear, I don't think the rev limiter helps at all. A quick foot to the clutch would be better.

Reaction score
If your car is still running fine and not sputtering or blowing smoke or has coolant in the oil you probably have rockers out of adjustment or a failed. The limiter does NOT prevent downshift damage on any vehicle.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be fuel flow related even if it was below 6200.

....IF the car has seen some dirty gas and the filter is a bit clogged. Its no too hard to change (in front of the drivers rear wheel in a 98) but you do need the quick connect fitting tool to get ot out.

If it still happens AFTER you check the rockers, try changing the filter; $30 and a bit of swearing later you'll know if that was it.

Good luck.

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had mine on the dyno at KRC Performance here in cocoa beach.With 1:7 rockers and 3:55 gears I got 440hp/470tq and the valves started to float at 6000 or so.I was told by Marty to put better springs in and that would help a bunch.

Reaction score
Nice numbers, was the car still pulling at 6000 or had you hit the peak number already? Have to remember the Viper motor is a torque motor more than a top end motor like a Lambo or F car. If you were on the downside before the "float" then I would suggest opening things up to get better numbers under the curve first rather than worrying too much about the top end number, I mean how often are you at or over 6K anyways?

Just had mine on the dyno at KRC Performance here in cocoa beach.With 1:7 rockers and 3:55 gears I got 440hp/470tq and the valves started to float at 6000 or so.I was told by Marty to put better springs in and that would help a bunch.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have hit the rev limiter once going from 1st to 2nd, there was no doubt that I hit the limiter because the engine just shut off, scared the crap out of me for the half second it took for the engine to kick back in. If i understand correctly the fuel flow instantly stops. I don't ever want to do that again!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have hit the rev limiter once going from 1st to 2nd, there was no doubt that I hit the limiter because the engine just shut off, scared the crap out of me for the half second it took for the engine to kick back in. If i understand correctly the fuel flow instantly stops. I don't ever want to do that again!

10-4 on that, except I was a 2nd to 3rd gear blooper. An underwear event for sure. Put in a shift beeper alarm and have had no events since.

BTW, never noticed any drop off in power before hitting the underwear marker that one time.

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice numbers, was the car still pulling at 6000 or had you hit the peak number already? Have to remember the Viper motor is a torque motor more than a top end motor like a Lambo or F car. If you were on the downside before the "float" then I would suggest opening things up to get better numbers under the curve first rather than worrying too much about the top end number, I mean how often are you at or over 6K anyways?

Thats the other things he suggested for better numbers.headers,good exhaust and springs.The float did happen on the down side of the pull,he told me my best power range was between 3800-4800rpm range.

Oh yea,did I mention I have KRC custom SCT flash (Programed by Marty)no muffler and the all mighty VIPAIR:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth