RIP Carroll Shelby

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An automotive icon for sure. Had the pleasure of talking to him on occasion through the years and was just thinking about him the other day. His talent: Putting the right people in the right job, driving, great business sense, and the love of the automobile.

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So sad. Rest in peace Carroll Shelby. In a way he will live forever.

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
an absolute genius, met him at just twice, 1968 at a Ford/Shelby dealer and 1992 in Des Moines IA. He acomplished more in 5 years [1962 to to 1967] than anyone in any 5 year period. And he had such an ability to hire great people. First car co. to come out with dual racing stripes down the center ....Shelby American. Firsr car to have rear spolier ...Shelby American. Factory installed headers?...Shelby American. first car to have factory installed roll bar?...Shelby American. The styling changes that he did, the 427 Cobra "wide hip" that porsche copied 7 years later. And of course the work that he did on the GT-40 program. RIP Mr Shelby.

08ViperCoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great guy, and obviously a legend.

I met him in March of 2004 at Sebring and he walked out of a luncheon (in his honor!) to go outside with me and my dad. Carroll, my dad, and I walked out of the Chateau Elan and into the parking lot - (Speedvision cameras in tow!) and he sat with my dad and I for approx 25 minutes telling us stories of his career. John Fernandez was there and hung out with us for a few minutes too. Carroll then signed the dash of my Viper GTS Coupe (we snapped a pic right as he was signing it!) and he talked about his days with Dodge in Whittier, California (when he built the GLHS, CSX, Lancer, etc..).

He said those were some of the best/funnest days of his life/career! I told him about my collection of Shelby/Dodges (currently 17...at that time I had 14 of them), including the Viper which I still (to this day) consider a "Shelby/Dodge". I explained to him that I had purchased it brand new in 2000. He asked if I had taken it to any track events - to which I gladly replied - YES SIR! (Sebring Viper days and Southeast Rendezvous!)

He talked about his 86 Omni GLHS (16v DOHC Hans Hermann engine, tuned to 500BHP on the dyno back in 1986/87!) with Jerry Maillcoat, John Fernandez, Neal Elliot, Tim Pettijohn, and Dick Winkles (Dick was in Detroit... the rest in Calif) and I told him about my 1987 Shelby GLHS (two door - also DOHC 2.2 Shelby/Maserati engine) which had just 2 weeks prior laid down 464whp to the front wheels. (over 500BHP) that was what had got him to walk around the table, put his arm around me and walk away from a line of 100+ people to pull me out into the parking lot! Incidentally, I had brought my dyno sheet with me, and he signed that as well! I have about 15 pics of everything. My dad was snapping pics like the paparazzi! LOL

What I remember most about him were his eyes. Very striking. The most down-to-earth celeb I have ever met. What a cool guy to actually take the time to speak with me. Wish I could have showed him my collection before he passed.

He will be greatly missed and forever remembered.

-Rick Diogo
You must be registered for see images attach

08ViperCoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couple more pics from that day with Carroll.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62