RIP Joe Saunders

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
We have lost possibly the most dedicated MOPAR / Viper member there has ever been; JOE SAUNDERS. Many of you will not know Joe from the forums, but if you have ever been to a Viper racing venue, VOI, or a larger gathering of Vipers, I can almost guarantee he was there. His commitment to CHRYSLER, MOPAR, and the VIPER was so pure, no matter what the circumstance, he always had a reason why the car an the brand was better than anything else on wheels, and you know he was and is right about that. He would help anyone out at anytime, I recall once at a V10 Nationals Drag race I was running late, he saw me hustling to get my slicks and skinnies on and he ran over and worked the jack, even though I was about to race his son, Lee Saunders (Lee won that one.) If you were racing a Ford or a Chevy, he would do anything to help you beat them. He owned more Vipers than anyone we know and he was truly loyal to the Viper Nation. You would often see Joe wherever Lee was racing to help with the stopwatch, or just be there to cheer on his son. Joe will be buried in his purple VOI13 Viper shirt. Those of us that are attending his service will be wearing our VOI.13 shirts or other VOI or Viper related shirts, and most importantly we will all be there in our Vipers.

Joe's friendship and enthusiasm will be sorely missed, I am sure wherever he is, he is shifting gears on a Viper V10. God Bless you Joe...

FLAT OUT

VCA Member
Reaction score
A few years back I remember being at Sebring when Joe's son , Lee, had just gotten his comp coupe. We were all scrambling to help Lee get ready for the race. Joe was getting ice for his cool suit , I was getting the in- car camera set up, there were people helping with radio communications... it was a madhouse! I remember how frantic I felt with the time crunch and how calm and collected Joe was! I have always admired Joe for being a self made man, and he sure was proud of all his boys and their families. He had a big heart and we will miss him!

LadyCruzer

VCA Officer
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Here is a favorite memory that I have of Joe : In 2006, Jim and I were brand new members of the VCA… we didn’t know a single soul in the club, but we were mailed a brochure about the Viper Owners Invitational (VOI9) to be held in Las Vegas in September 2006. So on a leap of faith, we paid a carrier to haul our car out there, and off we went ! On the very first day Jim was running his car on the Las Vegas Motor Speedway with all the other Viper guys and gals. As I am watching Jim on the track, a big man ambles up to me and we strike up a conversation.I eventually asked where he was from. He said “Lakeland, Florida”. I was totally DUMBFOUNDED and I said “ME TOO!” And I will NEVER forget the look on his face! Joe Saunders simply could not believe that he did not know us, because of course as a veteran with possibly THE most enviable collection of Vipers in Florida, he should certainly be in the know on that sort of thing! From that day forward , he took Jim and I under his wing. That night he made sure we were invited to sit at dinner with all the other Florida Viper folks, and our friendship with the entire Saunders family began! He sure had a way of making us rookies feel welcome that entire trip. Since then, Jim and Joe have spent many happy hours together either riding in the car or being with Lee at a track somewhere. He was truly one of a kind and everyone in our club will miss him. If there are Vipers in heaven,Joe is enjoying himself right now!

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i never met or knew Joe, but from what i read he was a great man. My condolences to the family.