Road and Puke best 9 Sports Car-March 2005

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Road & Track is definitively anti Viper. They always have been and always will be. They have a European slant that will begrudgingly accept the Vette as a working man's Ferrari. Outside of that, they hate American muscle. I have written them a number of times, challenging their statistical [published] facts regarding Vipers. They have never printed one. They are owned by a French publishing company. In the dictionary, next to the word "elitist," there is a reference to Road & Track.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It blows my mind....how can a car that weighs about 100 lbs less (carrera)be ahead 0-60, and only .2 behind (1/4 mile) a car that has a +145 horsepower/torque AND tire size advantage (Viper)? Does the gearing make such a huge difference? The rear engine gives a little more traction off the line, but THAT much?

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've found Motortrend and Car & Driver to be the most accurate at measuring performance. Were talking performance numbers, and not subjective opinions. The only way to find out the 100% truth about a car is drive it yourself.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It blows my mind....how can a car that weighs about 100 lbs less (carrera)be ahead 0-60, and only .2 behind (1/4 mile) a car that has a +145 horsepower/torque AND tire size advantage (Viper)? Does the gearing make such a huge difference? The rear engine gives a little more traction off the line, but THAT much? -Viperfreak2

David, consider also that a stock Viper SRT-10 reaches 60mph in first gear whereas the Carrera S requires a shift. Advantage Viper. In REALITY, ain't no way the Viper would be beat 0-60mph (or in most any other meaningful performance test for that matter) by this torque challenged mobile ... but Road&Bull is a fiction based rag anyway so don't expect much truth to come from them anytime soon. Best enjoy the pictures.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If PMUM were still here, he would hand R+T their asses, them in a C6 ZO6 whatever, and PMUM in any Viper.

*edit* That sounds pretty juvenile...The point is, if you are familiar and comfortable with the handling characteristics of the Viper, it performs extremely well. If you are scared of it, as the R+T drivers admit to be, you won't be able to extract its potential. You can't pusssy foot around this car, you have to grab the wheel with both hands, and drive it like you stole it.

trumper Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 statistics stood out - the base C6 had a faster lap time, the base C6 outbraked the SRT. Look at the segment times. Looks like the new Z06 is going to walk on the SRT in a road course.

:rolleyes: W O W , seems like many of you enjoyed Road & Crap's latest comparision test!!! Some of you sure got your ******* wadded up over the track results of the C-6 "cruiser" !

:2tu: From this thread's reaction... I KNOW...

Y'all are gonna LUV the new C-6 Z06! :D

Cya at the track! ;)

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I liked the cheese head that picked the S2000 cause the other cars were out of his price range. Now that's the kinda people I would want to test a car. NOT :confused:

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 items stood out in my mind:

1) The SRT-10 was 1.2 seconds slower than the Vette in section 8 because of the admitted 'bad driving'. It was back to first in section 9. The Viper lost by .28. Hmmm

2) "I prefer no computer assistance whatsoever" "The Vette in comp mode...you can feel the yaw control (Hal9000) working. I just kept my foot in it and allowed the yaw control to keep me straight"

3) Shawn Bailey "The Viper is the best all around SPORTS CAR. It is race bred and street worthy, with no gimmicky traction control or active suspension. To many it is the modern-day Cobra....the adrenalinerush of driving a Viper with the top down is spine-tingling."

Driver skill, not computer nannies win races. Or at least they should.

Dock (Atlanta)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Porsche 997S

3) Shawn Bailey "The Viper is the best all around SPORTS CAR.

And the article also said the Porsche 997S "...is the best sports car in the world under $100,000."

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Porsche 997S

If you want a comfortable car that people like, buy a corvette or a porsche.. But if you want a car that people worship there is only one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenomXX