Roadracing...skill Vs racing tires?

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike H:
Tires do make a difference. However, it is no replacement for seat time. Learning how to take a car to the edge on any tire, learning how to be consistant, lap after lap, learning how to be smooth with steering input and learning to be be slow in and fast out of corners is way more important as a young driver than moving up to $ 400+ racing slicks, especially if you have not mastered the above.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with everything you said. I was just responding to Chuck B.. He knows what I'm talking about. Just busting his balls a little.
smile.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike 99ACR:
I agree with everything you said. I was just responding to Chuck B.. He knows what I'm talking about. Just busting his balls a little.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh Mike, you don't wanna go there do you? Let's ask the group...Hey gang, much faster should the lap times be of a Hoosier tire Viper vs a Pilot Sports tire Viper on a 17 turn 3.7 mile track (Sebring).

Mike, sometimes you really like to stir it up. You're crushing me (finally) in the 1/4, be happy with that.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys crack me up, I wish I were on the east coast so I could kick all your a$$es on the track
supergrin.gif

Vic, you had 1 fast lap, you have NEVER come close to it since, you just happened to have the most talented Viper driver ever (PMUM) sitting there yelling "GO FASTER, GO FASTER". I seem to remember "scaring" you off the track because I passed you so fast coming out of turn #2 at WSIR. Now mail me back my "going Faster" book so I can give it to someone else
supergrin.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:
You guys crack me up, I wish I were on the east coast so I could kick all your a$$es on the track
supergrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C'mon Ron, I got a place for you to stay...but you have to bring Christy.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Ron, when I turned that 1:38.1, you told me then that day, that I did good. Not wanting to take any credit, I made a big deal about how it was only possible because PMUM was in the car with me, so as not to look proud. You told me at that moment, in so many words, not to give up all credit, because after all, as you put it, I did the driving, not PMUM. Now you sound exactly the opposite.

"Vic, ,,,,,you just happened to have the most talented Viper driver ever (PMUM) sitting there yelling "GO FASTER, GO FASTER"."

I can do that again. Its not like it was THAT hard. If you look at the print out, I was pretty consistent for those ten laps.

Is 1:40 "close to it"? I've done that afterwords, alone, but on a day when I couldn't get a lot of clear laps. Thats only two seconds slower. I've also gone even slower, 1:42, with a ton of cars on the track. Being a beginner, I'm trying to follow the Speed Venture rules of safety, and wait for the wave by. So I did worse after my 1:38. Doesn't prove anything.

Yes, big bad Ron, you startled me the little novice beginner, and I moved out of the way, because you rushed up on me, with your big horsepower, Hoosiers, and countless hours of seat time. I got a wheel off track getting out of your way quickly, and it went squirrely on me, and I spun, but I didn't go off track, just luckily. You were in the beginner's group, driving as agressively as you do in the top group. During those first few hours of my track experience I wasn't used to that, having only been in the beginner's group up to that point. Yes, you are pretty scary. But that won't happen again. You can pass off line next time. Does that have anything to do with me turning a 1:38?

You don't seem to remember that I gave your book back to you at ButtonWillow, because I had already bought the same one.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Vic on 11-25-2002 at 08:33 PM</font>

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
Uh Mike, you don't wanna go there do you? Let's ask the group...Hey gang, much faster should the lap times be of a Hoosier tire Viper vs a Pilot Sports tire Viper on a 17 turn 3.7 mile track (Sebring).

Mike, sometimes you really like to stir it up. You're crushing me (finally) in the 1/4, be happy with that.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chuck don't ask the gang nothing they were not there. I'm not talking about Sebring, I am talking about Homestead . If you did not think me having Hoosiers made a difference, then why did I pass you and leave you so far behind. Remember telling me you were trying so hard to catch me you got hot on your brakes and ended up in the kitty litter
smile.gif

Lighten up its all in fun, your the last person that should be talking about stirring things up.

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you need a pat on the back, Vic?
Here you go-

pat, pat, you're a quick learner!

pat, pat, I'll bet no one else ever came up as fast as you!

pat, pat, If any one is faster than you, you still are king, because you learned faster.

pat, pat

feel good now?

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vic:
Touche'!
smile.gif

I need a hug.....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here we go...
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElDiablo Viper:
I think that when I'm ready I will buy a race car like Radical. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those cars are pretty awesome. There were a couple at Buttonwillow the weekend before last. I believe they were turning low 1:50's on Config #1 (full track), clockwise, and they were still learning to drive them. Pretty awesome for a 1300cc motorcycle engine. Only $50K... hmmmmm
supergrin.gif

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. You're alright!

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike H. is a rookie, in his first scca race last year the 24 hours of moroso , he was on our team & drove a porsche 924s, a 138 rwhp car, to 2nd place with comparable lap times to me! & I have 10 years driving the same type of cars. And by the way we turn 2:23 to 2:24 in our Porsche 924 @ the glen with Hoosier DOT's & stock motor.

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Pete....Thanks for the kind words as I definitely had fun driving in that 24 hour race. Definitely look me up if they run the event again, the Porshe was alot of fun, and look as we debut at VIR in the SPEED WCGT next year. Tell Nort and DR Jimmy I said hello!!!

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jeeeez mike that's a big SET on you!!!..."with a very well setup easily gets to 2:10's at Watkins."....I been drivin the Glen a looooong time and I can tell you....no setup easily will get you to 2:10..you need a BIG SET like you got.!!!..Fastest T1 guys (not me) are running 9's. What are you puttin down at MO with that rig??? 35's?