Roe Blower? Sean?

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to hear from Sean why he cancelled it. Is it because of technical problems with the design and performance? Or simply lack of capital to order parts and keep a staff together to build and support it.

As long as he kept people waiting, I think at least he could tell us whats up and what happened.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoke to Sean Roe today. In the simplest of terms, because of financial concerns, the Roe Gen 3 S/C is not going to happen. He hopes to have a tuner kit for the Paxton. There it is, I'm bummed.

Wow...I'm stunned too. The s/c has taken ALOT of time and effort on Sean's part...I've talked to him as well. He is an awesome perfectionist, and if the s/c does not live up to HIS expectations, he will not produce it. That's admirable. Tuner kit for the Paxton is one way for him to still work with all Gen Vipers, I'd presume. ~juli

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bet there are a lot of **********, been waiting/praying for 6 years, viper owners around today....that stinks.

its now official, paxton really is the BEST option for the GEN3 owners

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bummer, the newer/larger compressor would have been a good option for some. I was looking forward to seeing the final product/results.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bet there are a lot of **********, been waiting/praying for 6 years, viper owners around today....that stinks.

We've since altered our opinion of the Paxton, plum :2tu:...but we're fine with our stock '08.
Sean was kind enough to ask our opinion on WHAT we'd look for in an s/c from him, and he was generous to a fault getting back to us, as we'd considered the s/c for the '05 Viper. Due to design issues on the '03-'06 Vipers...having to swap out the hood to accomodate the s/c, it wasn't feasible, and most owners weren't going to get a new hood. I'm quite sure lots of people are extremely disappointed, but I also know Sean really TRIED to get that s/c to his specs...I'm sure he'll chime in at some point.
~juli

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I kinda' like the TT option...;)

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another good option is to let Tator build up your motor, port your engine, put in a cam, add headers and exhaust. If he builds it up for n/a you can get up to 550+ rwhp, 575 rwtq. You can enjoy 08 performance with a Gen 3, but you will have alot more torque and lower end hp than the Gen 4. And should you decide to add a blower later, you can take the power up to 900+ rwhp w/out breaking stuff.:headbang:

Tators Dodge 914 763 3136 :2tu:

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told the same thing that he needs at least 25 GenIII owners to step up to get this produced as the cost is substantial and it needs to be worth it for him. I took that as a kind way of telling me it won't happen. Guess that helps me decide on power options on the GenIII.:blah:

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Apparently it's all financial woes. He has laid off 5 people and sold much of his equipment. He even sold his Viper that had his supercharger in that he brought to VOIX. When things get better he may take it up again but as of right now he told me to not wait on it. Sean is a super guy and I am sure he is as disappointed as those waiting on it.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently it's all financial woes. He has laid off 5 people and sold much of his equipment. He even sold his Viper that had his supercharger in that he brought to VOIX. When things get better he may take it up again but as of right now he told me to not wait on it. Sean is a super guy and I am sure he is as disappointed as those waiting on it.

I agree with your assessment of Sean...and I feel very badly for the troubles he's had.
Even sold his VIPER????? :confused: OMG...that is depressing. Someone said Dave Venski didn't work there any longer, this is probably why? Too sad...juli

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i don't like hearing this. seans a great guy. but i didnt think he had 5 employees.....

hope he gets thru this

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$%^& D@MN IT!

It is really going to urk me to have to put a Paxton on my Viper because I will NOT go into the motor to add power and I will NOT purchase an 08' and continue to take a bath on the 06' I bought new for a trade in on an 08'. Just way too much money thrown away at that point. I just want bolt on power as a lot of others do.

I swore I would NEVER put another centrifugal on my vehicles here in the Rockies as tuning it here at this altitude is a full time job that NOBODY gets right. Now I may have to eat fricken' crow.

Surely Edelbrock or SMS or someone sees the market of 03-06 Viper owners craving more power? They have all new blower designs. Edelbrock just released a ZR1 style blower package for the 05+ Mustangs. SMS has all new blower designs for the 6.1SRTs.

Ah..... I am just venting! I will continue to kick dirt and swear in private now.

This really, really upsets me.

BTW I do hope Sean pulls through this. So if I understand this, someone bought that GEN III Blower package with the Viper and is running around with it out there?

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
$%^& D@MN IT!

It is really going to urk me to have to put a Paxton on my Viper because I will NOT go into the motor to add power and I will NOT purchase an 08' and continue to take a bath on the 06' I bought new for a trade in on an 08'. Just way too much money thrown away at that point. I just want bolt on power as a lot of others do.

I swore I would NEVER put another centrifugal on my vehicles here in the Rockies as tuning it here at this altitude is a full time job that NOBODY gets right. Now I may have to eat fricken' crow.

Surely Edelbrock or SMS or someone sees the market of 03-06 Viper owners craving more power? They have all new blower designs. Edelbrock just released a ZR1 style blower package for the 05+ Mustangs. SMS has all new blower designs for the 6.1SRTs.

Ah..... I am just venting! I will continue to kick dirt and swear in private now.

BTW I do hope Sean pulls through this. So if I understand this, someone bought that GEN III Blower package with the Viper and is running around with it out there?
I don't know if he took his blower off before selling his Viper. I imagine he did but we didn't get into it.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would sell my sister and my first born before I sold my Vi.......:D

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya know. Maybe this is a Democrat vs Republican thing. There are those who have repeatedly talked about getting blown sometime in the future who waited for almost six years to find out that Sean will not be making the twin screw for the Gen III. And then there are those of us who have been blown for years and have repeatedly stated the obvious: Better to be blown today than to be naturally aspirated tomorrow. Drill for oil now! ( I had to tie it together in some fashion or some of you would have suspected that I was trying to be funny.)

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have a stock motor Gen III Paxtoned Viper here in Denver that I can tool around in for a few days or let me tag along with for a few days to see if my opinions of the Paxton/Vortech are too harsh and maybe should be just limited to my Ford (5.0L/5.8L) Paxton/Vortech experiences.

I have to be honest here, because they have not been too good to date. My Whipple / Kenny Brown experiences with Lyscolm Autorotor have been 100% positive however.

Bob, you did say so, amongst others, so have to give it to you there. What a disappointment!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Colo. Look at it this way. The Gen III Paxton kit has now been around for more than five years. If there were any significant issues with the kit applied to a stock engine with a conservative tune, you would have heard about them a long time ago. To my knowledge, and I watch the Forum for same carefully, there have been none. The issues have arisen when people go beyond the stock kit and a conservative tune. Send your car to Mark J at woodhouse and let him do the install. ( See my remarks regarding your elevation below.) If you intend to road track it at all, get the DC blower tune with the colder plugs and 170 degree thermostat otherwise, for normal street use with occasional spirited driving, the normal slightly more conservative tune is fine. Why Mark? Because he is at the largest, or at least one of the largest, Viper dealers in the world. He has installed over 100 of the kits. And, if something goes wrong, Woodhouse, with all of its economic clout and its excellent relationship with the SRT engineers, stands behind the work. You also might consider having the Woodhouse/MGW performance shifting mechanism installed. It really changes the way the car shifts - tight and crisp. One more thing. I assume that you are at a high elevation - at least 5000 feet. I do not know how that affects blower function. I also do not know whther it might require some sort of custom tune. You should probably discuss this with Mark J. and Dan Cragin at DC Performance.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$%^& D@MN IT!

Do you know anyone that has installed a Paxton for high altitude use and had a high degree of calibration? I ask because the Gen III Paxton, unlike the Gen II blowers, has the inlet temperature sensor after the aftercooler. That was the primary cause for all the Gen II blower special cals and such. My Paxton cal has been without fault as all the OEM adjustments still work to a Tee.

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys;

I was talking with Mark about a Paxton install from before and if I went that route I would just have Woodhouse do it. I already have the shifter and such from them.

The DLM bigger cooler and such was a given for me if I went this route. As far as tuning, this has always been a major problem at Altitude. My house is at 6200 ft. I do regularily take the car in places up beyond 10,000 to 11,000 feet, though I am not racing at those levels so not a major issue.

Tuning and cooling are the major issues with a Paxton/Vortech but like I said, I have only experienced these on Fords and where they did not have a aftercooler set-up due to space. The tuning is something I would expect a high altitude tune is required. It is a totally different ball game at altitude than sea level. BIG difference in power as you loose a ton at Altitude.

Anyway, I would still like to tool around with someone here in the Rockies if someone has one installed on a stock engine. Then I will make my decision and take the plunge.

Rick

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
“The Rumors of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated”

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven’t been on the boards lately. I’ve been working my tail off, but I am coming on to clear up a few things after getting emails about supposed financial troubles, hearing I was closed, etc, etc….

First off, everything here is fine and I’ve worked hard to make the changes needed to keep it that way. We moved from the big shop with the big overhead to match in October. It used to be myself and four employees at that time. Now I’m at myself and two. For the record, the most I had when we were really slammed was eight beyond me. Since November 2nd, the three of us (Mike and I making parts, me handling the tech calls and Anna doing the book keeping), we’ve shipped out 372 separate orders…. not individual parts…. actual unique orders. Scattered in those orders were five Ram Supercharger kits and two Gen1 / Gen2 SC kits. So….. as you can see, I haven’t been on the boards because I’ve been working really hard and fall asleep practically any time I sit down for a few minutes. There is no reason for anyone to say “it sounds like Roe’s future is in question” (Phil). We’re very solid right now. I’ve been self employed since October 1991 and plan to keep it that way. My old business setup just got a little out of my control / wasteful / too high on the overhead and I had to make some big changes to correct it BEFORE it became a big problem. Selling the second Viper that still had $1,050 a month payments was part of that solution. It’s now corrected and I’m finally beginning to have the clarity again to see where Vipers need new modifications to make them better. So, with hopefully everybody clear on that, let talk forced induction….

Dateline 2004…..
I was getting a lot of pressure (from myself and others) to build a Supercharger for the 2003 Vipers. So, I bought a damaged engine and set out to figure out how to do it. It took some time after that before I could actually afford to buy a car to test on (I don’t test on other peoples cars, way too ******* the car). The design we came up with ($5,000 one off reversed blower with side drive shaft) did not work at all well. It fit under the hood just fine, but it wasn’t the right blower for the application. When you run off the second SC lobe, you have to run at 2X speed, so that meant two small pulleys (one front and one back) that produced belt slip. The Gen3 engine use pretty small diameter crank pulleys and all SC’s have to go off a certain drive ratio. Anyway, I figured out some of the downfalls by 2005, but then started having all sorts of “life” things happen to me. Things got pretty unhappy, with close relatives passing away, injuries, divorce, etc. Talk about an “un-motivator”. But, those are my problems to bear, not yours, and everyone wants a Supercharger. I honestly figured that along the way, somebody smarter than me or with deeper pockets would probably build a kit. There certainly wasn’t anything to stop anyone else while I was building parts for and filling orders at a rapid pace between ‘05-‘07.

Dateline January 2008….
I finally have my life going well enough that nothing dramatic has happened to me for two months! So, I start fiddling around with the SRT-10 after hours. I needed to get a bigger blower under the hood and…..

End of part one…. I have to get some more work done and can’t hold up orders to write more. I’ll continue later, bringing everyone up to today. I promise, the sun will rise tomorrow and I do have some forced induction projects going on that are good and timely. If you can’t wait….Paxton has been and still is the only game in town for Gen3. If you get a tuner kit, which should be less money (I’m not a Paxton dealer, have not and do not sell Paxton), I can get you setup with bigger injectors and an SCT tune so you don’t have to run the Split Second box or the supplemental pressure pumps that run up to 120 PSI (the SCT will also allow you to turn off the open loop delay timer, which nobody with a Paxton ever seems to comment about).

Ok, gotta run.

Sean

PS, I’m going into all this detail because I consider you all my friends as well as my customers. I will always treat you this way. Any disappointment you may feel about delays of something or a problem, I assure you, are felt far worse by me.

HensleySRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: “The Rumors of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated”

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven’t been on the boards lately. I’ve been working my tail off, but I am coming on to clear up a few things after getting emails about supposed financial troubles, hearing I was closed, etc, etc….

First off, everything here is fine and I’ve worked hard to make the changes needed to keep it that way. We moved from the big shop with the big overhead to match in October. It used to be myself and four employees at that time. Now I’m at myself and two. For the record, the most I had when we were really slammed was eight beyond me. Since November 2nd, the three of us (Mike and I making parts, me handling the tech calls and Anna doing the book keeping), we’ve shipped out 372 separate orders…. not individual parts…. actual unique orders. Scattered in those orders were five Ram Supercharger kits and two Gen1 / Gen2 SC kits. So….. as you can see, I haven’t been on the boards because I’ve been working really hard and fall asleep practically any time I sit down for a few minutes. There is no reason for anyone to say “it sounds like Roe’s future is in question” (Phil). We’re very solid right now. I’ve been self employed since October 1991 and plan to keep it that way. My old business setup just got a little out of my control / wasteful / too high on the overhead and I had to make some big changes to correct it BEFORE it became a big problem. Selling the second Viper that still had $1,050 a month payments was part of that solution. It’s now corrected and I’m finally beginning to have the clarity again to see where Vipers need new modifications to make them better. So, with hopefully everybody clear on that, let talk forced induction….

Dateline 2004…..
I was getting a lot of pressure (from myself and others) to build a Supercharger for the 2003 Vipers. So, I bought a damaged engine and set out to figure out how to do it. It took some time after that before I could actually afford to buy a car to test on (I don’t test on other peoples cars, way too ******* the car). The design we came up with ($5,000 one off reversed blower with side drive shaft) did not work at all well. It fit under the hood just fine, but it wasn’t the right blower for the application. When you run off the second SC lobe, you have to run at 2X speed, so that meant two small pulleys (one front and one back) that produced belt slip. The Gen3 engine use pretty small diameter crank pulleys and all SC’s have to go off a certain drive ratio. Anyway, I figured out some of the downfalls by 2005, but then started having all sorts of “life” things happen to me. Things got pretty unhappy, with close relatives passing away, injuries, divorce, etc. Talk about an “un-motivator”. But, those are my problems to bear, not yours, and everyone wants a Supercharger. I honestly figured that along the way, somebody smarter than me or with deeper pockets would probably build a kit. There certainly wasn’t anything to stop anyone else while I was building parts for and filling orders at a rapid pace between ‘05-‘07.

Dateline January 2008….
I finally have my life going well enough that nothing dramatic has happened to me for two months! So, I start fiddling around with the SRT-10 after hours. I needed to get a bigger blower under the hood and…..

End of part one…. I have to get some more work done and can’t hold up orders to write more. I’ll continue later, bringing everyone up to today. I promise, the sun will rise tomorrow and I do have some forced induction projects going on that are good and timely. If you can’t wait….Paxton has been and still is the only game in town for Gen3. If you get a tuner kit, which should be less money (I’m not a Paxton dealer, have not and do not sell Paxton), I can get you setup with bigger injectors and an SCT tune so you don’t have to run the Split Second box or the supplemental pressure pumps that run up to 120 PSI (the SCT will also allow you to turn off the open loop delay timer, which nobody with a Paxton ever seems to comment about).

Ok, gotta run.

Sean

PS, I’m going into all this detail because I consider you all my friends as well as my customers. I will always treat you this way. Any disappointment you may feel about delays of something or a problem, I assure you, are felt far worse by me.

You seem like a very level-headed, business-oriented, genuine guy. Glad to hear that things are under control.:2tu: We all need to stick together in times like this. Take care and goodluck with future business.

Sincerely,
Alan Hensley

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean;

If you can afford a few seconds in the next few weeks, I will give you a call. It sounds like the Fat Lady might not sing yet, which is giving me some hope. I know the end product will be worth the wait, just need to know it is still being worked on and not abandoned.

As I stated for all, I really don't want to go the Centrifugal route and can wait another year, if need be, but don't want to wait two years for a forced induction package. I am glad to hear that you are getting squared away of everything else that jumps in to make life interesting.

If you can only find the time late to get back with me, just respond to the e-mail I shot you last week. Colosaleen!

Thanks
Rick

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Sean. Good to hear that you seem to almost be through the looking glass back to calmer and more economically stable times. I note that you have a bookkeeper. I am sure that she is great but take a free tip. Never completely trust any bookkeeper and never, ever give one check signing authority. Always leave time at the end of the week to review what has been going on financially for the week. If you are already doing all of this, good for you. If you are not, start doing it. If you do, expenses will never get out of hand. From all of us who you have blown ( you did the supercharger installation on my Gen II), have a great one!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: “The Rumors of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated”

Hi Everyone,

Ok, gotta run.

Sean

:2tu: great news sean,

:dunno: strangely somehow the world seems a little better :headbang:

maybe we should post this in the political section where good news is severely lacking :crazy2:

good advice bob

Hi Sean. Good to hear that you seem to almost be through the looking glass back to calmer and more economically stable times. I note that you have a bookkeeper. I am sure that she is great but take a free tip. Never completely trust any bookkeeper and never, ever give one check signing authority. Always leave time at the end of the week to review what has been going on financially for the week. If you are already doing all of this, good for you. If you are not, start doing it. If you do, expenses will never get out of hand. From all of us who you have blown ( you did the supercharger installation on my Gen II), have a great one!

peace

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to see you back on the board Sean. You need to teach Mike how to ghost write for you. Then you guys can double team the boards :2tu: :2tu:.

If there is anything I can do at all, please feel free to give me a call.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great News Sean.... Keep up the great work....

Sometimes all it takes is a simple phone call...........

Support our VCA Vendors!!!!!! without them we have NOTHING!!!!!!!