Roe Racing S/C , 1/4 mile .....yahoo....time slip pics

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time out with the Roe s/c in the 1/4 mile. I look forward to tuning with the VEC2 because there is more left but for now I am pleased with these numbers. A little about the car: Hennessy 500 headers and 70mm throttle bodies. Four race mufflers, no cats, Stock air box, stock roller rockers, 3.55 gear, et streets and Purners.

viper10.48.jpg

viper10.51.jpg

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Tony, those are awesome numbers--a Roe s/c record I assume! I may need you to drive my car once or twice just so I can truthfully say it's a mid-10 second car.
smile.gif

And without rockers too. You've got 3.55's but no rockers, and SW's car (fastest Roe s/c car I'd heard of before now) had rockers but stock gears....hmmmmm. Did you have to baby it to get traction out of the hole? And did you have to shift into 5th?

matthyoo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what happened to the camaro in the first timeslip? a 2.8 60' time?
eek.gif

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome Tony,

Sure that Camaro was touting around the street as a Viperkiller with some mid-11 slips...........

there's always faster!!!

keep up the good work, we all know the blue/white are strongest runners outta the box!!
cool.gif
(have to start our own force to compete with them goofy yellow owners!
smile.gif
)

S

SUN RA KAT

Congratulations!

You are a good driver of one fast Viper!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to my info., with 3.55 you would be going 131 MPH at redline in 4'th. So I'm guessing he ran past redline (6000), kept it in 4'th, and completed the 1/4 at 6100-6200 RPM's at 137 MPH, just below/at the rev limiter.

Am I close????

How about the 3.55's with street tires? Possible to hook up, or are you better off with the 3.07's?

P.S. - Incredible results!!!! Just think, a little tweeking with the VEC2, a little more tweaking to the suspension, maybe 1.7 RR's, a slightly smaller pulley, perfect cool dense air at the strip, hmmmmm.... Could we see a 9 second quarter from the Roe unit????

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
onerareviper is dead on....no 5th gear...I was going through at at least 6000. I was watching the w/b 02 among other things but it was wound pretty tight. There couldn't have been much left before the rev limiter. As far as street tires. I haven't tried them on a good surface at the track yet. At the track before the s/c it took some throttle control not to spin, now it is going take a lot of throttle control not to spin. It will be a delicate process. RPM was in the 5000 - 5500 range with 17 to 18 psi. It would be real nice to have some 28" tall tires instead of 26"......at least to run a little faster.

Hey Don Hiltz....I was glad to see you there. Next time bring the Viper and I will coach you on some 1/4 mile. You will love it, we all have to learn in the beginning.

genxgts, the Camaro was off the bottle and was a 94ish LT1. Maybe he wasn't expecting me to do as well. Before the day was over he had went a 10.19, not sure of the mph. Before my last run word got to me he wanted to line them up and I said sure knowing he had already went a 10.30. I brought my car around and never saw them. That was the 10.48 pass. It was near quitting time and I hadn't broken so I was happy and done. Went ahead and drove on the trailer. A few minutes later his guy runs over and wants to run. I said where were you a minute ago.....I'm done for today......he said they didn't see me go around. Granted I can't run those numbers but I was through and made that last pass only because they called me out.. Come to find out they only live 30 minutes from me and my local (10 minutes) 1/8 mile track and he said they would see me there....I said ok......but....."it would be a little more even if you were to race my 94 Formula Firebird", he agreed to take it on also. My bird is a LT1 and has been a 10.02 in limited 1/4 mile service and has recently been 1/8 mile times that would have been high 9.80's and that is at 3800 lbs air etc. This Camaro had lightweight racing seats, no console and I didn't see for myself but I heard no back seat or air.....gutted somewhat. Like you said there is ALWAYS someone faster and ditto on the banana colored cars
smile.gif

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great idea about switching to a taller tire. If you can match those 60's, I think your times/speed will improve. Not sure how it feels with the S/C, but stock GTS's seem to drop off in power after 5800 RPM's or so....

Are you running the stock pulley? 5-6 pounds boost, right?

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by varanus:
Hey Tony . .I think you need to spray a 50-75 shot on nitrous with the sc
BURNOUT.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTR Tom and I have had a brief discussion and there will be more talk to follow
smile.gif
What else would you expect from a NOS dealer. Just remember when thinking about a stock engine.....especially heads stock heads the saying: "you can only squeeze so much blood out of a turnip". I broke a rod on a stock LT1 blowing and spraying.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but quite a few of the 03 cobra guys are running a 50-75 shot with great results.
Tony..how do the heads limit the ability to do nitrous?

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

My sons were really impressed (as was I) with your runs on Sunday. Since you had the only Viper there, your represented us all......not too shabby a performance. Congratulations.

I wanted to run you with my Durango, but the guys on the track said that they had never heard of a 10 second handicap!!!!

Don

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by varanus:
Yeah but quite a few of the 03 cobra guys are running a 50-75 shot with great results.
Tony..how do the heads limit the ability to do nitrous?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is only my personal opinion for what its worth. I think at some point with stock heads you can only stuff so much boost and air/nitrous into the intake and combustion chamber and you can't exhaust all of it out. The rod on my stock LT1 looked like it broke due to hydraulic lockup like you would see if water was getting into the combustion chamber. Was it all the crap I was pushing into it...I can't say for sure. That said, I think at 5 to 7 lbs of boost our stock engines could handle a 100 shot safely. I will start lower and try to hold at 75. Rockers certainly improve the breathing maybe down the road I can get those too.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were those 17" M/T ET streets or on 16" rims? Seems like I remember some guys being able to use a 16" Purner rim that fit over the rear brake ass.back in the day.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't Tony subsequently found to have been using a secret Jato bottle underneath the frame on these runs?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the greatest endorsement of the use of the shortest gears possible ever put forth on this forum. This will be a must-link thread for all the guys who say 3.55 gears are too short for a high-powered car.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't Tony subsequently found to have been using a secret Jato bottle underneath the frame on these runs?

I think it was one of these:

2632turbonq-med.JPG

A tall drag tire makes all the difference with 3.55s for a 1/4 mile.

6100rpm with a 26.5 diameter ET Street = 135.5 mph.

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the greatest endorsement of the use of the shortest gears possible ever put forth on this forum. This will be a must-link thread for all the guys who say 3.55 gears are too short for a high-powered car.

haha...I'm still using 3.55's
The drag tire is now a 28" but the drag radials and street tires are short.